• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Too much slack in steering (4x4x2)

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
I did the 4x4x2 swap a while back and just now to the point where I'm getting my rig out on the highway. I'd say I've got about 3-4 inches of slack and it wants to wander more than I'd like at higher speeds. I have a smaller than stock steering wheel too. While searching around, I found where the screw in the top adjusts the return to center. I guess that needs some adjustment because it doesn't try to return to center at all, but I don't think that'll do anything for the extra slack. I'm wondering if I should try to find another junkyard donor for the worm gear, or just send it to WTO?

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
If it doesn't return to center, your caster is probably off. The massive amount of slop certainly can be the box, but that much is often a combination of a lot of worn out parts. You can't just adjust that top screw willie-nillie, It has to be to spec. Box probably needs a rebuild.

A cheap option to rebuilding is to find a box with tight internals at the junk yard and swap in the guts. Minimal disassembly/reassembly required and they are plentiful at the junk yards.

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
The more I think about it, I don't think it has that much slack, probably more like 2-3 inches at the wheel. I'd say it has about a half inch at the box. My front end parts seem to be fairly tight, and i really think most of this is coming from the box. I may see if I can dig up another one and try swapping the internals again.

I can't remember, but I'm thinking I messed with that adjustment screw when I did the original swap, not knowing any better at the time. Does anyone know if theres a method for setting it up correctly.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sometimes the piston and worm are just worn and really require a professional rebuild to tighten them up the right way. The adjustment screw on the top of the box really is only for a little overcenter preload while it can take out a little slack I think you have some worn componets in the box causing most of the issue. You can try adjusting it just make sure you dont over do it as it can cause more damage to your box. I'd send it in get it setup right.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
does anyone have a link for a good rebuild kit? i've only been able to find individual parts on the different sites.

OP
OP
JC

JC

Loc.
Conway, Arkansas
I think I may try finding another salvage yard box and swap the internals once more. If I have problems after that I'll just ship it off. Thanks for the replies. Justino, that link has some great info. Thanks a lot!

SHX669

Bronco Guru
The adjusting nut is only for setting the preload.
Rebuild or have the gear rebuilt.
wildhorses says the # 1 reason for wandering is bad trac bar bushings.
Incorrect toe will also cause wandering .
A locker in the back also causes wandering.
Check for loose pitman to draglink cinnection . Also drag link to tie rod connection.
SHX