• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Took this picture after I almost rolled my Bronco in an intersection!!!

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
So I'm driving on the highway service road into town yesterday, when some shmuck decides to make a left turn through the light from the OUTSIDE lane as I'm doing 55 mph through the light in the inside lane!

I slammed on my brakes to avoid him and ended up throwing my Bronco into a 360 slide for about 50 yards! Naturally, the guy just drives off and doesn't even stop to see if I or my two dogs are okay... what a jerk.

God knows how that truck didn't roll over, because it absolutely should have! I would have been in the hospital and my sweet pups would have surely been killed.. Scary to even think about!

Be careful out there friends... people don't use their heads anymore!

skid.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dang!..sure glad you and the dogs are OK.

I don't know if its the extreme weather or what but some people have been driving super dangerously and aggressive around our area the last week or so.....had a near miss yesterday that would have really hurt.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Wow! Close call. It's unbelievable what some jerks do out there! Glad you and the pups are OK.

Tram

Bronco Guru
People are crazy. There is no self accountability anymore.

I watched a Suburban attempt to go from the outside lane, across in the inside lane into the turning lane all in one fail swoop. The only issue was the small econobox they didn't see. Suburban pushed it literally from the inside lane, into the turning lane and then into oncoming traffic and when the driver realized what they had done, they simply drove away.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
People are crazy. There is no self accountability anymore.

I watched a Suburban attempt to go from the outside lane, across in the inside lane into the turning lane all in one fail swoop. The only issue was the small econobox they didn't see. Suburban pushed it literally from the inside lane, into the turning lane and then into oncoming traffic and when the driver realized what they had done, they simply drove away.

Tell you what... I almost thought about just driving through that idiots Ford Focus... My steel tubed prerunner bumper would have made it a very bad day for that dude. Just glad everything ended okay.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
Its good that you're no worst for wear,and you and your best buddys came out ok, but I think you need to look into a adjustable proportioning valve for your braking system.

Without a top, no spare tire hanging of the back and a higher then designed center of gravity the weight bias is all out of wack, plus maybe a tight posi rearend and a short wheel base all add up to,well you're a lucky man to say the lease.

A adjustable proportioning valve dialing the rears maybe up to 50% down may have stop the swaping of ends on your bronco without affecting overall braking performance. Because what you have now is unsafe. Again you're a lucky man and no one was hurt, but I sure your eyes were open that you have a braking issue that needs to be addressed.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Glad it weren't worst man. Definitey some idiots out there.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Its good that you're no worst for wear,and you and your best buddys came out ok, but I think you need to look into a adjustable proportioning valve for your braking system.

Without a top, no spare tire hanging of the back and a higher then designed center of gravity the weight bias is all out of wack, plus maybe a tight posi rearend and a short wheel base all add up to,well you're a lucky man to say the lease.

A adjustable proportioning valve dialing the rears maybe up to 50% down may have stop the swaping of ends on your bronco without affecting overall braking performance. Because what you have now is unsafe. Again you're a lucky man and no one was hurt, but I sure your eyes were open that you have a braking issue that needs to be addressed.

Well, while I totally agree with and appreciate your suggestion.. I think the reason I veered off and swapped ends was because I turned the wheel and hit the brakes at the same time to avoid hitting him. I have, however, noticed in the past that my rig has tended to list to the left when applying hard braking. I've got a proportioning block attached to my power brake system... I'm going to look into it =]

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Really glad you made it through spinning horizontally rather than vertically. I keep thinking I should put on big steel bumpers covered with large medieval looking spikes, then see how people drive around me!

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
wholly shiot your pants batman.............that was close

glad no harm to anyone or that nice ride of yours

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
Glad everyone was ok. With my temper, I would have chased that SOB down and gave him a heavy piece of my mind! Especially if he wasn't even considerate enough to stop and say sorry and to make sure everyone was fine. That would have set me off like a firecracker!

svobronco

I will always make sure that if someone is going to cause an accident, they damn well will be involved in that accident. I would have plowed right into the guy. Do not put your life at risk on the road for someone else's inability to drive.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
12.50 tires? I wonder if thats what saved it from rolling. Tire tracks do look pretty skinny, you had to have been moving! Is that car on the left waiting for you to clear out?

The good news is the Bronco looks real good. Custom molding on the tailgate?

Bajabrewer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow, glad it all worked out in your favor. I had my own close call with a drunk a couple weeks ago & was very lucky myself in that situation.(Drunk crashed & got arrested) It did motivate me to have some conversations with my teenage sons that you never know when or where someone else will put you in danger.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
12.50 tires? I wonder if thats what saved it from rolling. Tire tracks do look pretty skinny, you had to have been moving! Is that car on the left waiting for you to clear out?

The good news is the Bronco looks real good. Custom molding on the tailgate?

Yeah they're 12.50 by 37's. I'm not sure what kept that thing from turning over, but I know I said a little prayer shortly after and told the big man thanks if he had anything to do with that.

Thats actually paint on the back... I just taped off the bulge on the back and used my wheel spray paint to match the cage and wheels. I like the way it came out. I'm lucky it turned out good, because I was drunk the night i did it. Lol

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
The one thing I will say for EB's is that they are more stable than people give them credit for. I've seen my buddy put his at some stupid angles, get out and push on it to prove a point that it wasn't some unstable Jeep.

I'm glad that you, your dogs and your rig made it out of the situation with nothing more than maybe a little skid mark in the pants and on the tarmac.

You know, I think it's very important for Bronco guys to find a straight stretch of road with little traffic and to try increasing panick stops to learn if their rigs will stop straight of veer off to one way or another. It's better to learn it ahead of time, correct any issues ahead of time so that when it really counts you'll be able to put up your best right.

P.S. your rig does look sweet btw.