• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Top Loader Help

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I have a 4 speed top loader. Anyone have any opinions on these transmissions. I know it is more of a street trans. Seems to have a real tall 4th gear that gets me up to 85mph at 2500 rpm (33's and 4.11)

Don't know much about it except that it slips out of second when I downshift sometimes. Don't know if it's worth fixing or if there is a better trans out there?

cbford

I had a toploader in mine and have had several in other old fords. 4th on most of them is 1:1 just like the stock three speed.
There was a toploader version that had an overdrive as 4th. They were found stock in fairmonts and a couple other vehicles I believe. I do not know what the OD ration was in them off hand.

I had the same set-up, 33's and 4.11 gears. 2500 rpms was just over 65 I think.

cbford

Oh, and the slipping out of second could be a linkage adjustment, but is more likely a worn out blocking ring.
Rebuilds on these transmissions are cheap and easy.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Probably needs new syncos' probably why its slipps out of second. The OD toploaders are not quite as strong as the standard toploaders but they do have a lower first gear and the OD. Really a standard toploader is not really much better than a stock 3 sp just gives you less of a drop between gears,. I have my old toploader sitting in the shed been trying to find a car output shaft for it to use in a mustang. Swapping the toploader out and going to a NP435 has been the best swap so far for my needs anyway.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I have a 4 speed top loader. Anyone have any opinions on these transmissions. I know it is more of a street trans. Seems to have a real tall 4th gear that gets me up to 85mph at 2500 rpm (33's and 4.11)

Don't know much about it except that it slips out of second when I downshift sometimes. Don't know if it's worth fixing or if there is a better trans out there?

Here are some items to check...

Worn shift fork (rear).

Worn synchronizer assembly.

Loose or worn mainshaft bearing.

Weak or broken detent spring.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I have a 4 speed top loader. Don't know if it's worth fixing or if there is a better trans out there?

I don't think it is worth rebuilding, you should get a C4...............then you could send me the top loader so I can put it with my 428 CJ and slap it in my 57 Fairlane 2 door hardtop.

;D

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I don't think it is worth rebuilding, you should get a C4...............then you could send me the top loader so I can put it with my 428 CJ and slap it in my 57 Fairlane 2 door hardtop.

;D

Your Fairlane? I thought that was your wife's car.

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
I am in the process of rebuilding a 4 speed top loader with overdrive. It may not be much stronger, if at all. But the lower first gear and higher over drive makes it better on the trail and on the road. so that's a win win for me. And I don't do hard or frequent off-roading so a good all around tranny is nice.
I am still looking for the adapter. So if anyone knows where I can get a cheap one, let me know.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you have a stock three speed then you have the adapter. You only need a output shaft AA or some of our venders sell them.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
And you'll need a 4spd shifter unless you want to use your current shifter for gears 1-4 and add a separate lever for reverse.

Deano

Bronco Guru
I have 2 toploader 4speeds. 1 for a big block and the other for a small block and I wanted to use one in a bronco for a DD but ben holding out for a OD trans like a nv3550. The toploader has the same 1-1 as my 3speed so that doesn't change anything for me.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
A Toploader means that the gears load through the top of the case. In general, toploaders are considered to be 4 speed 1:1 trannys found in 60s Ford cars. I have one in my Tiger. They followed the T10. Automobile toploaders were used in Cobras, Tigers etc. They are one of the best four speeds ever made.