• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toploader 4 Speed Hurst Shifter

Rymadd

So been looking around for the hurst shifter parts to put on a 4 speed but looks like they discontinued it for early broncos. Anybody have any information on this stuff? Mounting brackets and shifter linkage? Also an actual part number for what shifter you used if you have one in your truck? I've read they can get close to your knee and stuff like that so wondering about how far into the drivers floor pan they come too.

Any info would be awesome.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
The adapter kit for your Toploader to Bronco is still available from Advance Adapters.

The shaft kit is 50-1900, $288
The shift bracket is a 715503, $50
The rod kit is a 715630, $60
and is all good in stock as of 11:00 today. (I just called them...)

I ran this kit in my old Bronco, and I offset the shift stick to clear my leg. I think I might still have that old Hurst shifter in my shed.

PM me if you need the shifter.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. i looked at going this route and actually picked up a great condition toploader and hurst shifter before i decided to go with a ZF. I figured i would just sell the trans and shifter once it came time to clean out the leftover parts but havent gotten that far yet.

the shifter i got came out of a mustang i think and did not have the rods to fit a bronco but i wasnt worried and was planning to make heim end rods. i took the shifter all apart and cleaned the grime out of it and got it mostly back together without too much fuss. i never bothered to source the new bushings etc that would finish the job, but there were rebuild kits out there

the bracket to mount the shifter is the same as the 3 speed if i recall correctly and the tunnel cover is the same. i cant comment on fit against the leg as i never installed

here are some pics that i had saved.

Hank

687.jpg

toploader.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These are the only pics I have handy of mine, shifter does ride along your leg touching it. It's worth it though for the fun.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 88

demo0211

I already had the shift linkage setup on my 74 but installed a hurst shift lever for a 66 Mustang as it has the offset coming out of the shifter so it sits to the right away from your knee

House

Minutia Militia
I was looking at possibly using one from a Mopar with a console that had a 4" offset to the right to gain some knee clearance... Haven't finalized the measurements yet though.

hogfan

I have a buddy that put a Hurst inline shifter in his. Said it limited the people that could drive it and he liked that.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
If you need bushings summit sell a pit pack of bushings and clips. You can get stock nylon or metal bushings.

OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

Wow didn’t know this many of you are still running toploaders. Appreciate the pictures so far. I actually have a mustang hurst shifter leftover from a project I could use, although I was gonna look for a shifter with the bolt on shift lever so I could play around with different ones if I didn’t like it. I notice Toms still sells the 4 speed tunnel cover, is this the same as the 3 speed? How much do you have to cut out of the floor? I already have a hole in the top actually where I had a ZF in my truck, but obviously going to be in the wrong spot now.

hucktruck

Loc.
Missouri
I traded out the 3 speed with converted floor shifter for the 4 speed toploader and reused the cover. Works good.

On a side note I had bought the AA shift rods (because one of the ones I was going to use had stripped threads) and they were not even close to being usable for me. The bends were all wrong IMO

kylakekevin

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The side of hump is cut out on mine under the whole cover. This is neutral 2nd and 4th pics

Attachments

• 20190430_190541.jpg
    20190430_190541.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190430_190629.jpg
    20190430_190629.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190430_190120.jpg
    20190430_190120.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190430_191014.jpg
    20190430_191014.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
This is my current toploader set up with a JBFab cable shift for the transfer case. The Jeff’s 3spd bracket fits much better than the AA (although not used here)and the rods were useless for me too. I’m taking it all out this weekend so if anyone wants any part of it, let me know. And of course they are upside down!

Attachments

• B54EFAC0-3FF7-4E23-A170-9A377868FEC4.jpg
    B54EFAC0-3FF7-4E23-A170-9A377868FEC4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 9CE73A45-E73E-436D-A94C-A64DD954FB34.jpg
    9CE73A45-E73E-436D-A94C-A64DD954FB34.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 40

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
I’ll try these, sorry

Attachments

• 10DB8B91-D213-47BB-AE10-6BA780A9B6D4.jpg
    10DB8B91-D213-47BB-AE10-6BA780A9B6D4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 7C96F3D9-74E8-4915-A9C5-89E4DECA3DBF.jpg
    7C96F3D9-74E8-4915-A9C5-89E4DECA3DBF.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 50

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
Yep it’s a 4spd, I’m sure you could do it to a 3spd too though. I just bought a cable operated twin stick from JB Fabrications (needed 1” body lift) and moved the transfer case sticks over with that, then strapped the hurst to the good spot with three homemade brackets. It’s a fantastic set up, but I’m not done with the trails, so I’ve got to go with something lower. I tried looking into swapping the guts out of T-176 but the input shaft is an inch too long so I’m giving up and buying a 5spd.

OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

Yep it’s a 4spd, I’m sure you could do it to a 3spd too though. I just bought a cable operated twin stick from JB Fabrications (needed 1” body lift) and moved the transfer case sticks over with that, then strapped the hurst to the good spot with three homemade brackets. It’s a fantastic set up, but I’m not done with the trails, so I’ve got to go with something lower. I tried looking into swapping the guts out of T-176 but the input shaft is an inch too long so I’m giving up and buying a 5spd.

So you made brackets to mount the shifter, what about the rods? have any pictures of your setup?

tabyers

Loc.
Indiana
The rods are homemade as well, the AA rods didn't work at all and it sent me down a bit of a path. You can see in one pic that there is an offset half clevis on the reverse leg because I wanted to put it as much towards the middle and as low as possible. There is a strap type bracket on the top of the shifter that bolts to the intermediate housing hole and two on the back that mount in the transfer case bolts just like the conventional floor mount brackets. I went through a ton of complicated ideas but in the end, this worked the best. The other pic shows the cable shift which was plug and play on the transfer case side and just a matter of mounting the hardware on the floor, which was tight but doable.
Also, if you didn't already know, you can get a top cover with a shift tower off of a Jeep T-176 and forgo the hurst altogether. That could be a nice set up. I don't know how they feel though. Sorry I don't have better pictures.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2d3.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2d3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 38
  • fullsizeoutput_2d4.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2d4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Rymadd

Rymadd

The rods are homemade as well, the AA rods didn't work at all and it sent me down a bit of a path. You can see in one pic that there is an offset half clevis on the reverse leg because I wanted to put it as much towards the middle and as low as possible. There is a strap type bracket on the top of the shifter that bolts to the intermediate housing hole and two on the back that mount in the transfer case bolts just like the conventional floor mount brackets. I went through a ton of complicated ideas but in the end, this worked the best. The other pic shows the cable shift which was plug and play on the transfer case side and just a matter of mounting the hardware on the floor, which was tight but doable.
Also, if you didn't already know, you can get a top cover with a shift tower off of a Jeep T-176 and forgo the hurst altogether. That could be a nice set up. I don't know how they feel though. Sorry I don't have better pictures.

I actually have a Jeep top shifter and was planning on using it, however ever since I got it I've been staring at the thin cast aluminum tower the handle rides in and felt like I'm going to break it power shifting lol. Did some digging online and have read some others with that very issue so I think the Hurst shifter with mechanical stops might be the way to go. Plus I've always dug a shiny chrome hurst handle