• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toploader Question(np435 t18/19)-T19 is IN!

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Ok so I just got in from outside installing and replacing the main bearing in the t-19 and D20(PITA-hate the smell of 80/90w) and bolting the tranny to the motor(small victory). Now when I installed the shifter handle it goes side to side and goes into the reverse position...but doesnt DROP into any gear or reverse? Am I missing something, iwork fine before I installed the tranny and removed the shifter. Its hard to see down the hole, luckily I have a borescope and everything seems to be ok(from what I know). Thanks.

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
Long shot but in the past it has been posted that putting too long a bolt in one of the t-case adapter mounting holes will cause problems like that. Might be something to look at if you took the t-case off. I think it is the upper driver's side bolt that causes the problem. Hopefully someone that has actually experienced this will post up a response.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Sweet Im going to check it out tommarrow...my coke froze in my cup from Wendys:eek: ...you must be even colder. I did stud the rear bolts off the tranny, because I am doing this myself and its easier to insatall seperately. The studs do go in quit a bit If I remember right 1/2" to 9/16"...this would be so sweet if that was it.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Upper left bolt/ stud looking at it from the back. If it is too long it will get into the gear.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
May want to pull the shifter handle and try restabbing it. Often the end of the stick doesn't actually drop into the right row for shifting.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
When you remove and re-stab your shifter, I've found its best if the mating linkages inside are in the neutral position. It may feel like its right but it won't hit all gears if the shifting mechanisms are not lined up right.

By chance did you have the top cover off? The forks are a serious PITA to line up as you're setting the top back in place. They "fit" more than one way but only one way is right...

Good Luck!