• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Total curb weight of a 1975 Bronco

roparsons

I am trying to get an accurate total weight of my 1975 Bronco. 302 stock engine, stock size tires, no lift, hard top, etc..

I have heard some VERY different answers and I am trying to find out if my jack stands can hold the load or if I should get new ones.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got an old pair of jack stands that would obviously hold up a freight train that I trust. I wouldn't trust anything I've seen in the stores regardless of the rating. I block vehicles up that I'm going to work under with some 10X10X24 wood blocks. I like the stability of something bigger than the base of a jack stand and slop in the telescopic shaft for something that I'm going to crawn under. I use jack stands all the time but back them up if I getting under it.

I've seen stands crack and fail over the years. I's seen them fail and kick out due to uneven ground. I've jacked up a vehicle off a guy that got pinned once. Lucky for him he tossed the tire under the bumper before he crawled under it. If you are asking how much it weighs so you can size jacks%). Lots of cheap (MIC) stuff out there. Be carefull.

Last edited:

Vintage Steel

Loc.
Post Falls, ID
Jack stands are fine, that is what they are designed for. I prefer jack stands to blocks. You should always inspect them for damage before you use them. make sure they are seated solidly to the car and setting flat on the ground. Never use them on a slope. If you only use 2 make sure that you chock the tires that are still on the ground.

CIMG5279.JPG

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Curb weight is around 2-tons. Get at least 3-ton jackstands. I have 6-ton just so I can get the height needed.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
My Bronco weighed 4080 a few years ago, stock bumpers, hard top, 302 and 33" tires. Now it's a bit more.

As suggested, get the 6 ton for the height.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I weighed mine when it had stock sized tires, no lift and less rust. It was just over 4K.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
3800 was what I have seen in some of the various FoMoCo lit.

Jack stands will be more than adequate when used properly. (no need for railroad ties) %)

I have three sets of the orange 2-ton (I think thats what they are, they look like the ones in the pic above) import type like you get from HF, Northern, etc. and I have used them to support my F-350 PSD, Broncos, and even the rear of our Volvo semi before.

With a pair of these, you could theoretically support 8,000 pounds (two Broncos completely suspended), so to have a pair holding up the front or rear or to have four holding up the entire vehicle is well within their limits.

The only reason I have thought about geting the ones rated higher is that they are often taller which can be nice sometimes.

Beware, there are some very light stamped ones that will not take much of a side load before they could be distorted. These typically have a bunch of holes and a pin you stick though to adjust height. The ones with the cast adjuster and welded stamped frames are generally heavier duty and hold up well.

There are some higher end that use the pins as well, but not as common.

jrcflash

If your Bronco is running and driving, just swing by a truck stop and ask them to use their scales. They should have a very reasonable rate to weigh such a small vehicle. If you live in the boonies like me, try your local lumber mill. They always have truck scales, and chances are they will let you weigh for nothing.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
For what the OP is asking the weight for, I really do not think he needs a precise weight.

Even if he got the cheap imports they will be way more than adequate.

The differece of his rig weighing 3780 vs. 4950 is irrelevant in the context of why he is asking.

These are like the ones I have, not 2 ton as I mistakenly thought last night.

These should give you a safety factor of about 10:eek:, so that should be enough to satisfy most of you!;D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38847