• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Towing

Nothing Special

Both have their advantages. I flat tow mine and am generally happy with that decision, but I do think about getting a trailer at times.

Getting set up to flat-tow safely and legally is a bit of a pain. Setting the Bronco up with trailer brakes is the biggest issue. The RV market has some options (look for "toad" brakes). I set up my own system where an air cylinder pushes the brake pedal, but that's not a simple or cheap thing to put together.

The tow bar is an issue of course, but that's obvious so I won't talk about that much.

Once you are set up, each trip involves some hassles. Protecting the transfer case is the first thing. I take the safe but more difficult path of dropping the rear driveshaft each trip. Putting the transfer case in neutral and locking the front hubs is another method that seems like it ought to work and a lot of people do, seemingly successfully. And just putting the transfer case in neutral and leaving the hubs unlocked supposedly works for some people, but Ford didn't recommend it and some have burned up transfer case bearings.

While you are flat towing backing up is a challenge. The front wheels turn the wrong way and you end up trying to plow them around sideways unless you get out and straighten them out every so often.

My mud tires don't balance well, so I haven't flat towed with them yet. That's not an issue trailering.

So I've painted a pretty bleak picture of flat towing but I still do it. Why? Because it doesn't require a trailer. Trailers cost money, they take up space (both at home and when in a camp site). Loading a trailer takes effort as well as requiring specialize equipment (tie downs specifically). It's not bad of course, but it's really no easier than hooking up to flat tow.

A tow dolly is the in-between option. Cheaper and smaller than a trailer. Simplifies the braking issue of flat towing. You still need to deal with the transfer case (some tow with the rear tires on the dolly and the steering wheel tied off, but I've heard enough horror stories that I don't think I would).

In reality none of those are bad options. People do all three and people will strongly support their choice. So you need to decide what option will work best for you.

Jakedog

After reading this I think I'll get a trailer when it comes time to tow.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
is it legal to flat tow a vehicle? Or is it against the law?

Flat towing a vehicle is legal, BUT... You can feel free to flat tow your car without breaking the law. However, most states do require a number of safety measures be utilized when doing so:

Taillights: The taillights of the vehicle doing the towing need to be visible. Alternatively, the towed vehicle can be set up so that its taillights respond to changes in speed. This is so that proper warning and signals can be given to vehicles behind you.
License Plates: The license plates on both the vehicle being towed and the vehicle doing the towing need to be visible.
Chains: Safety chains must be utilized. These provide an extra layer of safety in case the primary hitch fails.
You May Want to Know: How much can a 2019 Honda Ridgeline tow?

In addition to the above, some states require additional safety measures. These include:

Breakaway brakes: These refer to brakes that are automatically applied if the towed vehicle splits from the towing hitch.
Auxiliary brakes: This is a secondary braking system that can be used when towing cars or trailers. It provides an extra level of braking to compensate for the additional weight.
In some states, it's also required that one have a special endorsement on their drivers license in order to operate a vehicle that's towing a trailer. In other states you must be over a certain age, such as 18 or 21. Additional insurance may also be required in order to legally tow a car.

If you're on a trip, be mindful to follow the specific laws of any states you travel through.

Jakedog

A little off subject:
My Bronco runs good and I'm sure it would make the trek to Oregon for the sob gathering, but I'm not willing to drive that far with a soft top and soft doors.

I'm not going to take a chance of damaging expensive components by flat towing.
My plans are an F-350 dually, cabover with slide outs, and a trailer for the Bronco.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
is it legal to flat tow a vehicle? Or is it against the law?

Flat towing a vehicle is legal, BUT... You can feel free to flat tow your car without breaking the law. However, most states do require a number of safety measures be utilized when doing so:

Taillights: The taillights of the vehicle doing the towing need to be visible. Alternatively, the towed vehicle can be set up so that its taillights respond to changes in speed. This is so that proper warning and signals can be given to vehicles behind you.
License Plates: The license plates on both the vehicle being towed and the vehicle doing the towing need to be visible.
Chains: Safety chains must be utilized. These provide an extra layer of safety in case the primary hitch fails.
You May Want to Know: How much can a 2019 Honda Ridgeline tow?

In addition to the above, some states require additional safety measures. These include:

Breakaway brakes: These refer to brakes that are automatically applied if the towed vehicle splits from the towing hitch.
Auxiliary brakes: This is a secondary braking system that can be used when towing cars or trailers. It provides an extra level of braking to compensate for the additional weight.
In some states, it's also required that one have a special endorsement on their drivers license in order to operate a vehicle that's towing a trailer. In other states you must be over a certain age, such as 18 or 21. Additional insurance may also be required in order to legally tow a car.

If you're on a trip, be mindful to follow the specific laws of any states you travel through.

What state is that? Never seen that requirement before.

Foreign countries, yes. But those countries also tend to have tiered motorcycle endorsements as well.