• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trac bar

cag119

howdy all,

i recently put in full width axles from a 77 f 150. my trac bar is at too much of an angle and it's too short so I'm getting too much side to side movement.

have any of you bought or built and trac bar riser that mounts on the wheel side of the lower spring bucket?

also, any rebuilt upper trac bar mounts (off drivers side frame) that enable the bar to be extended (out towards the driver wheel)?

Thanks all!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
howdy all,

i recently put in full width axles from a 77 f 150. my trac bar is at too much of an angle and it's too short so I'm getting too much side to side movement.

have any of you bought or built and trac bar riser that mounts on the wheel side of the lower spring bucket?

also, any rebuilt upper trac bar mounts (off drivers side frame) that enable the bar to be extended (out towards the driver wheel)?

Thanks all!

That is known as the Yorston Track Bar Mount, pioneered by Gary Yorston.

Doesn't actually call for a much of a riser since it is longer.

Not a really good idea to extend the frame mounting of the track bar, the leverage makes it likely to rip off of the frame in hard off-roading.

Attachments

• 8205.jpg
    8205.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 88

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What type of steering linkage will you be running?
They tend to work best together not only when operating at similar angles but also at as close to the same length as possible, and pivoting in similar planes. When all of those planets align, your parallel bars start to work best together.

In other words, that longer mount over on the outside of the coil would work well with a long draglink mounted to the steering arm or at least over on that end of the tie-rod.
Either a "Heim" style setup then, or an F150 tie-rod where the draglink mounts farther over towards that end of the tie-rod.
And tie-rod over would put things at a better operating angle and closer to pivoting in the same plane too.

You're not gaining as much by moving the upper mount outward because your pitman arm puts the upper pivot point almost in line with the upper mount. Moving it out a little will net you a longer bar without doing much harm, but moving it out more than just an inch or so likely does less good than you might think.
After all, longer can definitely be better... But only to a point (of diminishing returns). Making the trackbar too much longer than the draglink starts the ball rolling in the other direction.

When you start going this custom, mocking things up before finalizing the design does wonders for your sanity. And your wallet!

Paul