• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

traction bar basics

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
i went out and got some spherical rod ends today, and i plan on building brackets, and trac bars, what dia. tubing should i use?or any info neccesary. I did a search and didnt come up with much. Im doing twin straight bars, as i dont need much articulation in fl, all is here is sand and mud. Any help is appreciated

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have a set of Duff's long link bars I would sell for $100 plus shipping. I plan to use 1 1/2" x 1/4" tubing if I build one for mine to go over the axle.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The first one I built I used about 1.250 tube with .180 wall. Basicley the stoutest stuff in the scrape pile. After bending the tubing twice, I got the tubing to live. The the plate welded to the axle tube opened it up like a .22 through a can of hot soda on a fence post. After patching that back together I wound up using a spare radius arm on the rear. The stud at the end is starting to bend a bit. And all that is with just a set of 33s. Amazing the forces involved with suspension.

OP
OP
J

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
yeah ive got 1.25 tubing now and i was thinking that was ghonna be a lil big actually, now im thinking of using that as a crossmember, and doing a centered 3 link type. could you incorporate an inboard shock hoop to the rear bracket? if it was made from stout tubing? and what about the length needed? i guess i could figure it out during the mach up but any info going into the project is appreciated