• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tranny Swap Quest. with pics

bronconate

Loc.
Edgewater
Pulled out 170 and 3 speed today, putting in v8 3 speed, have three questions. Thanks for some clarity.

1. This bracket is on my v8 tranny, it was formerly hurst floor shift but is going back to column shift. I dont have a bracket that looks like this on my I6 tranny that I just pulled out, so do I need it or can I just take it off and replace it with the linkage from the I6 tranny?

V8 Bracket

I6 Linkage

2. Will my v8 transmission sit in the same spot as the 6 cylinders or will I need to move the crossmembers support brackets to another place along the frame?

3. Here is my big one. Im assuming the rods that run from the steering column to the side of the transmission gear selectors will be ok to use on the v8 tranny. What Im not sure about are the actual gear level selectors, being that my I6 tranny and my v8 tranny have two different ones (im not sure what the v8 tranny was pulled from) but it used to have a hurst floor shift so Im thinking that i pull the 6's off and put them on the v8 tranny being that Im going to continue to use the column shift and not the hurst. Here are pictures of what Im talking about

The V8's fomerly hurst floor shift gear selector levers on transmission

The I6 column shift gear selector levers

Last edited:

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Nice truck.
Picture # 1 is part of a t shifter for the transfer case. If you don't have it all you can use the one you have from the 6.

picture #2 those tabs will have to come off.

picture #3 those should bolt to the trans and replace the ones you took off in picture 2

It all should swap over.

widowmaker77

Contributor
ok the bracket in first pic is for the transfer case shifter lock for the t style shifter it would have had a button on side of handle you had to depress to select transfer case mode. you may or may not need this depending on your shifter youre going to use for xfer case. the v8 trans and transfer case will sit in same spot best i remember. its been a really long time since i had to work on manual transmission broncos but i think im right on that. the levers on your i6 trans should bolt up and be the same as the v8 trans.

OP
OP
B

bronconate

Loc.
Edgewater
Thanks Bax, had a feeling you would have all the answers. Sorry to all for the bandwidth exceeding thing, guess I posted too many?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thats ok about the pictures it's not like your a bad person or anything like that.

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Hey Bronconate, would you have any interest in selling the adapter that goes between the transmission and transfer case (when you had the 6 cylinder in)? If you use your stock 3 speed with a V8, the 6 cylinder adapter wont work (unless you go with a NP435 which is what I'm trying to put together).