• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer case shifting into 4H ????

whaler17

I have a '68 Bronco with the "T" handle transfer case shifter. I can't get the shifter to move to the 4H position. It seems that the mechanical part of the shifter setup will not let the shifter come back toward the back of the Bronco far enough to put the indicator on the 4H position. Any ideas? Things to check, etc?

Thanks
HW

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Try rocking the bronco or rolling it a few feet to release the bind.

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
pull the shift boot and check to see if the locking tab is going down enough to clear the 4H lock slot. you might need to adjust the shifter

OP
OP
W

whaler17

Try rocking the bronco or rolling it a few feet to release the bind.

Thanks for the reply. I don;t think its binding, I think something else is wrong. when I look at the shifter and the peice that has notches in it that the shifter rod fits within, the shifter rod is all the way back in the metal peice with the notches, but the shift indicator is in 4L instead of 4H like it should be.

It occurred to me , after I posted this thread, that there appears to be a bushing missing in the shift handle where it bolts onto the transfer case that allows some slop,. Could this be the cause?

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
that could be it.. when u find replacement bushings, let me know as i need one also!

also make sure yout t-case bushings to the cross member arent compressed to where the shift rails are rubbing on the crossmember.. Thats what my problem was.