• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer Case Shifting

RenoBuc

Loc.
Reno, NV
I installed a twin shifter this weekend to try and alleviate my problem with getting the transfer case to shift (T style in a '71 mounted to an AOD conversion). I can fight with it and get the rear (right) side to go in all three gears sometimes, but I can't get the front (left side) to budge. I did a search and have tried most everything. Is it my t-case? Am I supposed to be able to change the T-case when the car is in neutral? It grinds when I try in neutral. Thanks for your help.
Dan

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
With an unmodified T style D20 and twinsticks you need to leave the front side in neutral until you put the rear side in range first. Then you can move the front side to the same range. Then the front needs to come out first before you can change range on the rear.

With an auto trans the output shaft will always spin when in neutral. That's what causes the grinding. Park will prevent the shaft from turning and grinding.

Stag72

Loc.
Ishpeming, MI
I put the twin stick on my 72 last year, I couldn't shift at all before, but was able to wtih difficulty after. I wound up pulling the t-case, and replacing the detent balls, and springs on the shift rails, and she shifts smoothly now.