• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transfer disc brakes from '76 to a '71?

John Fox

Loc.
Clinton, Mississippi
I found a wrecked '76 for sale, and one of the items I am intrested in salvaging is the front disc brakes. I would transfer them over to my '71 model that has drum brakes. I have had discussions with several Bronco owners and they say it would be easier to swap the entire front end. I am not sure I want to do this. How difficult, and what all is involved in moving the stock disc set up to my '71? If I do this, of course I would go back with new disc and loaded clipers. What else would you recommend or would be required to buy to make this swap? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of swapping the entire front end?
Thanks again for any suggestions.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
problem is dana 30.

Move the entire axle - should be straight forward.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
It all depends on which front end you have now. Some 71's came with Dana 44s and if so then you can just swap the parts. If you have a Dana 30 then your only option will be is to swap the entire axle..

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Does your '71 have a D30 or a D44 front axle? (It could have either.) If it has a D44 already, which the '76 has, then it's a pretty easy swap to move the disc brakes to the '71. If it's a D30, then you will have to swap the entire axle.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Knuckles from the 76-77 are different from the earlier D44 knuckles. Tierod end mounting points are higher and farther apart than the earlier models and is sought after because of this for tierod over conversions and the disc brakes. You will need to order custom linkages which most vendors carry, you'll want to upgrade the stock linkages anyway which the 76-77 came with the inverted-Y type.

All in all, It's a straight forward swap which is worth it if you're going to change/replace your stock linkages. If the wheels you have now got more than 3 1/2" backspacing than you'll may need to install wheel spacers if the front.

Swap the rear drums also, 76-77 are bigger than the rest.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
does the linkage get replaced with the inverted y if you do the swap

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
fordguy said:
does the linkage get replaced with the inverted y if you do the swap
it should be a bolt on but I'm not sure about the pitman arm on the earlier models.

I would just upgrade the linkages, there is so many options now.
The stock ones would be about at least 28 years old.

OP
OP
J

John Fox

Loc.
Clinton, Mississippi
GJBroncoMan said:
Does your '71 have a D30 or a D44 front axle? (It could have either.) If it has a D44 already, which the '76 has, then it's a pretty easy swap to move the disc brakes to the '71. If it's a D30, then you will have to swap the entire axle.
I have D44. I would think that this would be a direct swap, am I correct? Will I need to make any major changes or buy any type conversion parts? I do plan to buy new master cylinder, rotors, hubs, calipers, and bearings. Would I be better off just buying an entire kit from someone like Wild Horses?
Thanks again for you advice and knowledge. Any and all recomendations are welcome.

John

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
either way you go entire axle or just knuckles out could require some parts depending on how you go if the steering box and linkage is all there you may need the pitman arm off the 76 along with all the steering linkage if you get it all then its just a matter of swapping parts although the 76-77 tie rod setup is usually swapped for the earlier style linkage. but since the taper in the 76 knuckles and pitman arm are different than the 71 you'll need some parts. If you just do knuckles out you will need new ball joints and a new tie rod unless you keep the 76 tie rod a couple of places sell the conversion tie rod for about $220