• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Transmission slipping

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
Hello, I am really needing somebody that is good with C4 transmissions. I have just changed the filter and fluid in my 76 and it is slipping when I get on it but if I just start off normal, it doesn't slip. The filter that was in it was the one that has the cut out toward the pan and the new one has the hole in it for a pick up tube. Also, I need to know if the adapter that is cupped on top that sits in the spring that is held up by the filter is supposed to have a ball or something that goes between the adapter and the transmission. Can somebody help me out with this.
Thanks

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
If you have a filter with a hole in it it's for a Deep pan and needs a pick up tube.
img_1623.jpg

And yes under the filter tab should be a spring and a plunger that goes in first then the spring
img_1624.jpg

I have a Sumitt deep aluminum pan, it uses a filter that has a raised spot with a square hole in it .

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I just have a regular pan. Do need to get another filter with the cut out or will I have to get another pan. Also, is this what would be making it slip as it was not slipping before I put this filter on.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I'm not sure if it's your slipping issue. I would put the same kind of filter you had in it since it was working before. If you have the old fluid and let the spring and plunger fall into it . Or check and see if the plunger stayed in the valve body.

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I will try another filter and I did put the spring and plunger back in it. It just looked to me like a ball or something should have been on top of the plunger.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
post some pics of the pan and filter if you can. would help to understand what you are looking at. Slipping is bad and generates alot of heat and heat kills automatics...

OP
OP
F

fastride

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Alabama
I am not sure if the transmission is out of a car or the bronco. I feel pretty certain that is the stock one that came in it. I bought this from a man just a few months ago and everything seems to look factory. I think it has the short pan on it but I need to measure it. It came with the filter with the cut out in it and i just put the one in it with the hole so i do not have the little pipe that sticks in the hole. Also, i put the spring and the little plunger back in it when i changed filters. I talked with a transmission guy and he said it would still shift with out the spring and plunger but would shift harder and sooner with it out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
But don't overfill it. That can cause the fluid to churn in the gear set and airate, and that leads to transmission overheating.