• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Triangulated 2 link, fix Axle wrap?

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
I was wondering if a triangulated 2-link would work, and would it solve my axle wrap problem? I don't need to locate the axle, has leafs out back. Just want to fix the axle wrap. With 4.88 and 37s it has a lot of tristing going on

Help Help please!!!!!!

Peter

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
If mean just a pair of triangulated upper locating arms, I'd say yes. But geometry is a bit tighter than a normal 4 link as the lower arms (leafs) change length as the suspension compresses and extends. Many use simple one link connections to limit axle wrap with good result.

73bronco

It should solve your problem provided it is done right. Most people mount them at the frame with a shackle type set-up so there is no loss in articulation. Or you could just a little further and 4-link it and get rid of the leaf springs altogether! No axle wrap issues then!

73bronco

Think of the shackle on the rear of your leaf springs. If you use a shackle with the link it allows the link to twist with the axle and it compensates for the forward and rearward movement of the axle as it articulates. Pretty hard to explain actually. If you just mounted the front of the link via a rod end or bushing, when the axle moves up and down it tries to go forward and rearward at a different angle than the link is due to spring length. If the link doesn't follow it will bind your suspension and limit articulation. If you run a search in google for pictures of anti-wrap it will bring up a ton of forum topics on the subject. They ALL use a shackle set-up. There are some on there that show some pics if you dig around a little.

OP
OP
C

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
Would it really affect or limit the articulation By connecting both the links at top of the pumkin. Because when you are fully articulated, the pumkin is still usually still located in the center of motion doesn't move up or down much. Is this correct? It would affect the suspention though if not properly done when the suspention is fully loaded. Is this also correct. i.e. Jumping the vehicle.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
What 73bronco was saying is the axle control device is hard mounted to the axle housing and reinforced... the foreward end is loosely attached via a shacke not dissimilar to the leaf shackle. This gives the axle the fore and aft movement needed to prevent binding with the leafs. Yet still secures the axle preventing axle wrap.

OP
OP
C

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
Sorry guys, thanks for being patiant! I will put it as simple as I can I want to use a 4-link set up but only use the upper links. Triangulate the links ( 2 foot bars with Heim joints both ends) by Connecting the forward part of the links (Bars) to the frame ( Even with the leaf spring front mount), and connecting the rear end of the links on top of the Pumpkin! the links( bars) have about 4 inches of adjustabilty. Does this make any sense? is this a bad Idea? should I just go for it and test it out?

Thanks

Pete

Amac70

ME
you should look at wildhorses wrap trap. simple and effective basically what you want but simpler

Amac70

ME
single centerd link

1190.jpg

http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Wrap_Trap/rear_axle

Amac70

ME
unless your planing to link later something like this is effective and easier to make and cheaper

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Sorry guys, thanks for being patiant! I will put it as simple as I can I want to use a 4-link set up but only use the upper links. Triangulate the links ( 2 foot bars with Heim joints both ends) by Connecting the forward part of the links (Bars) to the frame ( Even with the leaf spring front mount), and connecting the rear end of the links on top of the Pumpkin! the links( bars) have about 4 inches of adjustabilty. Does this make any sense? is this a bad Idea? should I just go for it and test it out?

Thanks

Pete

That will bind.
As said before, leafs grow and strech (thanks to the shackle) during movment. Adding a fixed point (like the top 2 links to a 4link) will lock the pinon from moving and create wicked pinion changes durning movment.

To control wrap with springs, you need an Anti-wrap bar. Search around here many people have built one and have thoughts on the different styles.

OP
OP
C

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
It worked perfectly! No wrap, no Binding when flexing and when the suspention is fully loaded w 10 people jumping in the back! funniest thing you have ever seen!( looked like one of those unimogs you see in the middle east with a hundred people on it) So 10 people standing will fit in the back of a bronco! But anyways it was successfull has god range of motion. Pinion angle stays right in line with the driveshaft!!! thanks guys