• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tricks on taking the hard top off after 40 years

SP66

Bronco Guru
Un-bolted everything and I know it's heavy, but I can't budge it anywhere. It's like it's welded on.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
did you get the bolts in the stake pockets? Those are always easily missed...

AZ73

Bronco Guru
did you get the bolts in the stake pockets? Those are always easily missed...

Exactly. I took mine off after 36 years and the posts that go down into the rear quarters next to the tailgate stumped me for a while.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Not hard to miss those! Two bolts by the tailgate when you open it and two more on the inside of the corner posts. Good luck getting it off.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
Missed those two (4) bolts inside on the corner posts. It's off. Thanks

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Exactly. I took mine off after 36 years and the posts that go down into the rear quarters next to the tailgate stumped me for a while.

Ditto. Careful pulling them out that u don't pop up the top corners n scrape the paint also.

She's heavier than u think. 4 people are better than 3.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Nothing feels better than that first ride w the top off. Don't forget to get a full cage.

OP
OP
S

SP66

Bronco Guru
top off pictures posted in my garage---now I have to get it back on one day---not looking forward to that day

ILikeBond

Best system I've found is to hoist it to the garage ceiling, then just drive under it and lower when you want to put it on, drive under the hoist and raise it when you want to take off.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 for the Hoist to the garage ceiling.

Park, hoist, drive. Can be done easily by yourself.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
X2 for the Hoist to the garage ceiling.

Park, hoist, drive. Can be done easily by yourself.

I for one would pay to see one person with a hoist system put the top on by themselves. Not sayin it can't be done, just might make some good theatre in my eyes. I put it back on and it seemed to be a PITA!!!! Just sayin. LOL! ;D

AZ73

Bronco Guru
I for one would pay to see one person with a hoist system put the top on by themselves. Not sayin it can't be done, just might make some good theatre in my eyes. I put it back on and it seemed to be a PITA!!!! Just sayin. LOL! ;D

I put 4 eye bolts into the ceiling studs, and 1 on each end of a 5 foot 2X4, then got a set of cheap Harbor Freight tools ratchet straps. put the S hooks from the ratchets into the eyes of the ceiling bolts, slid the 2X4s under the front and back of the loosened top, and ratcheted it up about 6 inches, 2 inches at a time on each corner. Pulled the truck out from under it. Of course I had to lower the windshield since I had the truck facing in instead of backing in, but it was a tear down so I wanted it that way. When it's done, I'll back it in.

Attachments

• IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 84

ILikeBond

I for one would pay to see one person with a hoist system put the top on by themselves. Not sayin it can't be done, just might make some good theatre in my eyes.

I've done it several times by myself, in both directions, in 2 different garages with a little different setups (but essentially the same as AZ73's). The top's not so heavy that it's difficult to lift up enough slide a couple 2x4's underneath. Then you just need to go slow, make sure it's balanced, and lower or raise each side a little bit at a time. Easy peasy.

010 (2).jpg 014.jpg 015.jpg 017.jpg 009 (4).jpg 026.jpg IMG_1519.jpg IMG_1524.jpg

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
AZ, Ilikebond,

I see both of you put the front 2x4 at the front of the quarter panel connection point. Would it not be easier to put the front 2x4 a little further forward where the window goes? This way you could open the doors and put the front 2x4 under there, and you'd be able to lift the front off, then slide the 2x4 under the rear of the top by the liftgate.

Per another thread on here a few weeks back, I purchased and plan to install this hoist system: http://www.amazon.com/Harken-Utilit...8&qid=1363693000&sr=8-5&keywords=garage+hoist

Thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
top off pictures posted in my garage---now I have to get it back on one day---not looking forward to that day

get some help... or use the ratchet system to ceiling... could do it by yourself.. raise one corner, side at a time...

AZ73

Bronco Guru
AZ, Ilikebond,

I see both of you put the front 2x4 at the front of the quarter panel connection point. Would it not be easier to put the front 2x4 a little further forward where the window goes? This way you could open the doors and put the front 2x4 under there, and you'd be able to lift the front off, then slide the 2x4 under the rear of the top by the liftgate.

Per another thread on here a few weeks back, I purchased and plan to install this hoist system: http://www.amazon.com/Harken-Utilit...8&qid=1363693000&sr=8-5&keywords=garage+hoist

Thanks!

It's a balancing act. The initial lift off the truck is behind the door, but it's a little front heavy (at least without the glass and liftgate for me) so when I pulled the truck out, I slid it forward and put some lag bolts through the front most and rear most mounting holes. I didn't want the 2X4s slipping off when I was ratcheting up since I can only do 1 corner at a time.

I looked at that system too, but it's only rated at 145 lbs and the roof is more than that. When I'm done with the truck I'll actually build a similar system to the one you noted using a small electric utility winch, but the Bronco will be in a different garage when it's done.

g8rb8t

Bronco Guru
X2. 3-4" C clamps work well also to secure the hardtop to the supporting lumber. I used 2x6" but have been known to be an over builder.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored

I have a winch in the ceiling of my shop and a rack on my top. Lifted it with some straps and the one single cable, put the Ol' Bronco in neutral and rolled it under while holding the top in the right position. Oh, and I did it alone, all by myself. Really wasn't bad at all. Once the Bronco was close then I was able to guide the top with one hand and run the winch with the other. That winch is the best $150 I ever spent!