• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trouble getting engine to run right

broncobusted

On my 69 302 stock engine i have changed the distributer, vacuum hoses, coil, wires and plugs. I have timed 10 degrees btc changed fuel pump and fuel line and set points engine stil doesnt advance and has no power sputteting any ideas thanks.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It sounds like you've already covered the basic problem areas of the ignition system. If you suspect the mechanical isn't working, pull off the point plate and try swinging the advance weights out. They should smoothly advance the cam/reluctor. I've seen even rebuilt distributors with stuck advance mechanisms. Have you checked the carburetor out? It might need some cleaning or maybe even a rebuild. I like to flush out the idle air bleeds with Chemtool every now and then. They can get clogged with dried fuel deposits and make the idle mixture adjustment impossible.