• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Truck Won't RUN!!!! Reversed Jumper Cables!!!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Ok, I get the bonehead award for the week and possibly the month. So a couple of days ago I left the interior light on and it killed the battery. Had to jump it to get it going. The only problem is that in the process of jumping it and due to my not paying attention I inadvertently reversed the jumper cables on the BRONCO battery posts for a second and got some serious sparks. If that wasn't bad enough, about a minute later I did the same damn thing again! :mad:

Amazingly, no blown fuses upon initial inspection. Radio and gauges seem to work ok. Computer is turning on the fuel pump. Computer gave me the usual EFI codes of 81, 82, 85, 84. The engine will crank over. Only problem now is that it will not start. Still have to check the coil and dizzy.

Anybody else have any thoughts on what might be wrong! :cry:

If this has been covered in another thread just direct me there instead. Can't believe that I did this.

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
I have spoken with Viperwolf about this a bit and this is what he has had to say so far.

Those codes look normal with no emissions equipment. I think the computer is probably ok.

You can hold the noid light to the terminals. The noid light will tell you if the injector is getting power (power is constant at the injectors) and the ground signal to fire. So if the noid light doesn't flash you could be missing either power or the ground signal. PIP from distributor is needed to get the ground signal. Computer shuts off ground signal if the throttle is wide open during cranking.

Don't forget to check fuel pressure also.

Phil

My reply was that the gauge on the dash is showing 40 psi when I turn on the key and I can hear the pump prime the rails for a couple seconds like it should.

Still gotta check the relays, dizzy and the plugs for fire.

Also talked with Shamu and he mentioned something about replacing the ROTOR???

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Dayuum man. That sux. Good luck w/the fix. I'm sure it'll be an easy one

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Dayuum man. That sux. Good luck w/the fix. I'm sure it'll be an easy one

Well, you were right! It was an easy fix for sure. The truck fired right up today like nothing was wrong. ?:? Oh well, I guess I got LUCKY there was no damage. I could use some Luck. ;D

Sorry for the dumb question. %)

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Sounds like your Bronco has a CTRL+ALT+DELETE feature! Must've been a rare option :)

OP
OP
broncoitis

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
CTRL-ALT-DEL!!! Too Funny! LOL! I honestly wish that someone could explain to me what did or didn't happen. Divine Intervention or whatever but I won't be making that mistake again!

I can assure y'all of that! :eek: ;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ah yes, the old 3-finger salute!
My old Honda 90 used to do the same thing. Whenever it stopped working, or ran like crap for some reason, I'd just park it for a couple of hours or overnight. After that, it literally ALWAYS worked just fine the next time I started it.

Magic.

Paul

jagdprcp

Loc.
San Diego
It sounds like a relay overheated when you reversed the jumper cables. After it sat overnight, it cooled off and you were able to start it the next day.

Skeeeter