• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

TRyING TO CONVINCE MY PANRETS TO GET ME A BRONCO PLEASE HELP!

G

ok, starting last year i saw my first cb ever and fell in love with the car. i love cb's with every drop of blood in my body and have made it a quest to get one. Although my parents dont think that it is a safe enough car so they dont want me to get it. The main reason is because it doesnt have airbags.....so is there any way to put airbags in a bronco and if so how much? please help me!

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
not that i know of. anyhow a EB would destroy any vehicle that it runs into.

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
dude, ask them i they think a tank would be safe to drive around in? cause that is damn near what an early bronco is compared to any econo sh*t box with an air bag. ;D

grant_71

Bronco Guru
with a six point cage and full racing harnesses, big @$$ tube bumpers, and a vehicle that actually has a frame, what could be safer?

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
My friend accidentally backed his car into my bronco a few days ago. Just got the damages in today:

97 Accord: $3000
70 Bronco: One quick spray of rattle can
Seeing the look on my friends face: Priceless

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Tell your dad he could drive after it looks all cool and stuff!!

grant_71

Bronco Guru
HA HA HA, Better idea, tell them that to save on gas, you're going to buy a MOTORCYCLE instaed, then see what they say!!!

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Old metal kills new cars every time...EB's are solidly made. With some tube bumpers and a roll cage you are safer than most cars on the rode. Besides, you can use the other guy's crumple zone ;)

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
Get ready to start kicking me guys.

As a father, I gotta go with the parents on this one. A Bronco in the hands of the average 16 year old? Can you say "rollover?"
Yeah, the rig is nearly indestructable. But that doesn't mean much to the guy bouncing around inside the cab. Low backed seats, drum brakes, high center of gravity, no three point seat belts, and you're all but crouched over the rock hard steering wheel as it is.

I would only consider getting my son a bronco if three things were true:
1) Straight 6 with three on the tree. Nigh impossible
to hot rod that one.
2) He significantly aided in restoring it (I figure a year or
two laboring away on it would make him appreciate
it enough that he would drive CAREFULLY!)
3) He showed exemplary judgement in all other things.

Ed

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I second Ed!!
well said!!
I am 25 years young, and there's no WAY I'd let some person start tearing around in it, thinking it was a freakin ricer or something.
Yeah, and save yer money and buy your own, that way your parents don't have a say in it, then you'll appreciate it more too. and when you roll it over, it'll be coming out of your pocket, so it'll hurt more.

Sorry for this sounding a bit harsh, but no one was there giving me free hand outs when it came to cars, and I'm a bit bitter at the world!!!! ;D

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=14694;start=0#110776 date=1046345914]
Get ready to start kicking me guys.

As a father, I gotta go with the parents on this one. A Bronco in the hands of the average 16 year old? Can you say "rollover?"
Yeah, the rig is nearly indestructable. But that doesn't mean much to the guy bouncing around inside the cab. Low backed seats, drum brakes, high center of gravity, no three point seat belts, and you're all but crouched over the rock hard steering wheel as it is.

I would only consider getting my son a bronco if three things were true:
1) Straight 6 with three on the tree. Nigh impossible
to hot rod that one.
2) He significantly aided in restoring it (I figure a year or
two laboring away on it would make him appreciate
it enough that he would drive CAREFULLY!)
3) He showed exemplary judgement in all other things.

Ed

[/quote]
I'm with you too Ed. A limited supply classic shoud be earned with sweat and blood.Plus the time into it might make him a little more careful with it.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
Why is it always AIR BAGS come on mom and dad climb out that hole your hideing in and let the boy have an EB
it will not only be a safe rig for him but should keep him out of trouble and he will learn frist hand how a car works
so
[move]CUT LOOSE AND LET HIM GET ONE[/move]

thumper

Loc.
Bountiful, Utah
First you should save and work your ass off to buy your own rig!! Your parents should not be buying you a premo classic rig so you can trash it and then whine about wanting another!! Can you fix it yourself when it breaks, and it will?? If not you should stay driving your moms camry and leave the old metal to the old guys!!

cheap71

Loc.
dalton, Georgia
I got my first Eb when I was 15, my dad and I restored it and by the time we got done with the restoration it was time to drive my 73, it was my first car and I loved ever minute, you just have to remember that it will roll over if your not careful, and most IMPORTANt thing to remember DO NOT GO OUT AND SHOW YOUR A$$. But they are very safe, I would saw go for it .

mgweiss

Loc.
Denver
Just an idea, but why not get a Heep Wrangler to crash & trash for a few years. Once you get used to driving a short wheelbase top heavy vehicle, get a bronco and enjoy!

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
Get a Bronco, you won't be putting that many miles on it anyway. all your time will be spent on classicbroncos and selling all your stuff to get upgrades.... Then doing the upgrades.

SeanNollan

[quote author=BOSS3024ME link=board=5;threadid=14694;start=0#110825 date=1046356447]
All safe issues aside can he AFFORD to keep it running???

The other option would be a BIG bronco I think the last year had bags.

Paul
[/quote]

Here's the plan let's give him an internship with all of us. I always need some one to wash my bronco and clean up my garage. :eek:

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
This is kinda how I came by my 76. Woman bought the rig for her young son. He spied it on the way home on the school bus and got mom to buy it for him so that when he got his licence he would have a rig to drive. Well it turns out that the lad couldnt handle her jeep wrangler when he got his licence and totaled the jeep. This opened moms eyes and figured the bronco was more a mans toy (V8 and all)...Well in the swap sheet it went and here I am... ;D....What would I do?....I think that I would go with mom and dad on this one only because of the financial drain something like a EB will do to a young kid. Not a good way to start em off.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
You could start by not calling it a "car"!! ;D ;D ;D (just playin with you)!!! Next, I can understand a parents apprehensiveness in getting their teenager a 30 year old vehicle with a high center of gravity. I think what it would come down to is to make sure the kid absolutely knows the limits of the truck. These things were not made to go 90MPH down the freeway. I don't think SUV's are as dangerous as the media is making them out to be. I can make an evasive maneuver in my Bronco just fine at reasonable speeds. I don't drive it any faster than I feel comfortable with. The footage of SUV's rolling (i.e. Ford Explorer) is usually because the person is hauling ass and can't keep control of the vehicle. I don't think Air Bags and Anti-Lock brakes are the cure-all for stupidity. To be honest, I think I would rather have my child riding around it a roll-bar equipped, 4 wheel disc brakes, 3 point belts, high back seats and big gnarly bumpers EB than an air bag equipped tin can ricer that will fold up around them. I guarantee an EB would come out on top in a collision with a modern pepsi can. My .02