• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Trying to find my Dad's 1970 Bronco U15GLH78922 (photos) UPDATE

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Love the vintage pics and good luck finding the original. Keep us posted on the progress with this one also.

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
Driving the Bronco I bought for my dad has made me want one for myself. There's something cool about driving these Broncos that is hard to describe to someone who hasn't driven one. So I started looking for a clean original uncut Bronco for myself. My cousin, who also likes Bronco's, texted me a craigslist ad for a 71 Uncut rust free bronco in Idaho. I called the guy selling it and I felt this was the truck for me so I told him I would buy for what he was asking for it. Grabbed some cash, hooked up the trailer and got on the road just hours after talking to him. It was 10 hours each way and so worth it!

The story gets better. This Bronco was being sold by two guys that we're "helping" or you might even say flipping it. The owner is 89 years old and has Parkinson. They are making a couple grand on the deal, but don't know anything about the truck or Broncos. I was told it was rust free on the phone, but I had no idea Broncos could even be this RUST FREE unless brand new. I loaded it up on the trailer and headed home with a completely original uncut rust free bronco. I was so happy!

Upon getting home I start going through the bronco and noticed in the glove box a little card with a metal plate. It says Ownercard and had the original owners info and date it was put it service. I doubled checked the name with the name on the title and it matched! My thoughts were this could even be a 1 owner truck! A quick google search gave me a phone number and with a few minutes I was on the phone with the original owners wife. She was super nice and explained to me that her husband will have some issues with staying on track with his thoughts (because of the Parkinson), but I was welcome to talk to him. He gets on the phone and we talk to about 20 minutes. He tells me the exact salesman name he bought it from and the dealer, all the little things he's done with it over the years and that it has always (100% of the time) been stored inside a dry garage. He had lots of stories and answered ever question I had. I will stay in touch with him.

So here's a few photos of my new Bronco.
3Ge3Kb3Fc5N45Ec5Jad5ce5f63deb52b918b7.jpg

DSC03395.jpg

2013-05-14_15-45-48_445.jpg

3K63Mf3L15G35E65J2d5ce1c6140dbc6319b7.jpg

DSC03398.jpg

One quick question. I'm not planning on driving this anytime soon. I'm going to take the motor out and restore it to factory new along with all the engine bay. Should I leave the title in the original owners name and keep it (at least on paper) a one owner? More than likely I will only drive it a couple times a year and I can get temp plates for that.

Last edited:

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
That is awesome! It's amazing how addicting these things are. ;D

Congrats on a very clean find with good history. :)

BNC04

Loc.
Longmont
That sir, is what I think is called Karma!

Great job on bringing back a memory and moment with your dad that will last forever as well as finding something that will cement that moment ever onword!

Brett

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Wow, congrats CODY! I saw that ad and called the guy as well. I told him I would buy it for full price and he agreed. This was just a couple of hours after he posted the ad. I said I would pay a deposit to hold it and he told me not to worry about it. We exchanged a few texts the following morning with more pictures and I couldn't believe how clean it was. The motor being apart didn't bother me since I would pull it anyways. A couple of hours later he told me his partner sold it to a guy in Boise. I was a little pissed at first, I took two days off of work and arranged my dog to be boared so I could drive up there this Friday. His bronco so he can sell it however he wanted, I got over it pretty quickly. I am just glad to see someone here got it and it does look as clean as I thought. Keep us updated on the progress. My search continues, there are other gems out there.

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
Thanks guys for the nice comments. hsach, I'm sorry things didn't go as panned for you. I'm a dog guy too so I know what it takes to make sure everything is good before you set out on a trip. Glad I got the truck, but like you said I would have been okay and gotten over it if I hadn't got it. I paid what I think is top dollar for it too (you know what I paid).

ATC, if you EVER get the chance to buy an MXT I would suggest DO IT! At all cost no matter what it takes, do it. The Bronco's are super cool and I love them, but holy $hit the MXT is a beast of its own and I've never seen or driven anything like it. I never want to sell this MXT or hope I ever have to. I've drive n coast to coast in the MXT several times and it's by far the best truck I've ever seen or driven. NOTHING else like it on the road.

alice the cat

Loc.
San Diego/Seattle
ATC, if you EVER get the chance to buy an MXT I would suggest DO IT! At all cost no matter what it takes, do it. The Bronco's are super cool and I love them, but holy $hit the MXT is a beast of its own and I've never seen or driven anything like it. I never want to sell this MXT or hope I ever have to. I've drive n coast to coast in the MXT several times and it's by far the best truck I've ever seen or driven. NOTHING else like it on the road.

I searched for one about 3 years ago, I only wanted the blue you have or black and after a couple months I gave up. I'm into rare and exotic stuff but those are super rare! I've owned just about everything over the years but I still have yet to see a MXT in person. I bet it would dwarf my lifted H1 :)

I look forward to seeing what you do with your latest bronco. I hope you start a picture heavy build thread soon.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
Cody,I saw your wanted ad on CL and was wondering if you were replacing your dads Bronco.I can see the disease has taken root.
Personally I would get it in my name and drive it a lot.I got a lot of history with mine ,I'm the 3rd owner.I have the orig hand written purchase order from the Ford dealer In Oregon City.He kept it until he died in 03.Second owner had it for 7 years and did the bulk of the restoration.
How's your Dads Bronco doing? Keep an eye on here for upcomming meet n greets in the area,we would like to meet you and your Dad.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I have to ask,what are the brackets around the turn signals? Looking at the pics I hope you leave it as is,a unrestored survivor needs to be left alone.Your only a Virgin once....

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
Thanks for the warm welcome and you're right, it is a disease.

I forgot to ask what the brackets were. He put them on at some pint, but I never thought to ask what they were for. My plan was to take them off and keep it as stock as possible.

I have to ask,what are the brackets around the turn signals? Looking at the pics I hope you leave it as is,a unrestored survivor needs to be left alone.Your only a Virgin once....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the stock idea C O D Y, but check with the PO first. Before chucking them aside.
What I'm thinking is that if they're as old as the rig, they're part of the vintage history just like any original Ford parts.
Just like a dealer added roof rack or something like that. You know, something at least near it's age is a little history lesson for the future too.

I'm thinking they look like light protectors for a snow plow or something like that. Maybe part of a tow-bar rack too? Dunno, but find out first.
And be happy in the fact that when we say "PO" in your case, it's a great thing. Instead of the more common curse!

Enjoy. Keep us posted with pics. In case you haven't had tome to notice during any cruising of this site, we love a good pic or two. Just like the stories that go with them

Paul

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Thats what karma is....end of story....your new bronco is so clean would you mind telling us about your tow rig....that to is very clean as well...

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
The tow rig is a 2008 International MXT The MXT model came out at the 2006 Chicago auto show and went in to production in for the 2008 model year. The International dealer told me they were targeting production numbers around 3,000 a year so I wasn't in a hurry to buy one and was hoping to wait until they came down in price, however apparently a 130K truck didn't sell as well as they hoped and with the economy crashing in 2008 the MXT was cancelled early on. From what I can gather there was 217 that made it to market and 7 of those were Limited Editions. It took me a long time to find one and I hope I don't ever have to sell it. Over the past few years I've seen 3 or 4 come up for sale and they seem to be around 75K to 100K. If you are in a position to get one of these factory 2 ton beasts, do what ever you can to make it happen. Coolest truck I've ever owned. Gets more looks than my other "fun" cars and I have a fairly nice little collection of automobiles. There's just NOTHING on the road like it.

2012-05-13_14-41-23_347.jpg

Thats what karma is....end of story....your new bronco is so clean would you mind telling us about your tow rig....that to is very clean as well...