• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

trying v-belt on 5.0L

pondscum

I am working on my wife's '66 Bronco. I am using the 5.0 out of my Bronco ( sold mine for various and sundry reasons ) and she needs power steering. The first problem I am having is a power steering bracket which adjusts to take the slack out of the v-belt. Second, I made the lower pulley by cutting a 302 pulley and a 5.0 pulley and welding them together. I should have made a double groove pulley. Does anyone know of a crank pulley which will work on a 5.0 and v-belts? How about a p/s bracket I can use? The p/s box is a conversion with the bracket from W/H and a box from an old truck. Any help greatly appreciated.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I will take a stab at the crank pulley and say that probably any of the older crown vics, mustangs etc that ran v-belt (early 80s models) may work for the crank pulley. I would never weld up a pulley and expect it or the belts to last very long because there is just no way to get them perfectly round at just a home shop.

If I was you, I would go to the salvage yard and get all the serpentine equipment off of a junker and call it done. That would get you all the correct pulleys, brackets, nuts and bolts and so on to get the bronco back on the road.

Ben

OP
OP
P

pondscum

v-bely on 5.0

I'll try the early 80's stuff. I am not funning fuel injection and would like to keep the mechanical pump which is in the way of the drivers side water outlet and p/s box combo. Do you know of a serpentine water pump which has the lower outlet
on the passenger side like the EBs? I probably should have said I used a lathe to cut the pulleys and a MIG to put them together and since the original was not balanced I felt my balanced one to be " as good as" stock. Good equipment to work with I have, money is another thing.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Yo can call total performance (586)468-3710 and get a 50 oz Harmonic balancer that will allow you to use a stock bronco lower pulley, and all of the stock brackets.

I run this Harmonic balancer allong with Toms Broncos saginaw kit, stock 302 waterpump, mechanical fuel pump, stock 302 timing chain cover, and v belts

Attachments

• HARMONIC.JPG
    HARMONIC.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
P

pondscum

trying v-belt on 5.0

Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call next week. I am trying to get away from fabricated parts which can not be easily replaced.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Whoops my bad, lack of information to work with. good point on the mechanical fuel pump, gave up on those a long time ago. Sounds like Don may have what you are looking for.

Ben

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Toms parts

Just installed Tom's complete P/S kit w/mechanical pump etc., albeit not on a 5.0. Everything is good quality and fits perfectly.

-J