• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tuffy console stereo, or in dash removebel stereo

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
I haven't had tunes in 20 years in my bronco and I am now in the process of doing a total rewire. So...........here is my question. Since my bronco is a roadster with a custom dash, do I:

1. Put in a removable stereo radio/cd player in the dash.

2. Get the Tuffy center console so I can lock it up. If this is your choice, please let me know what stereo radio/cd players work well at that angle. Also, since my tub is bedlinered, any problem with running the wires under the tub over to the frame for the electrical end.

3. Forget the tunes and just mount a CB radio for when it is needed and just listen to road noise, mother nature, or my exhaust.

Thanks in advance for your responses and yes, I did a search.

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I like the tuffy idea. They have no way of knowing what you have. If you go dash mount and remove the face plate, they might just break in looking for the face plate in your console, glove box, under the seat, etc.. I'm way to lazy to take it with me. ;D

BIGED

Guru ????
I Would Go WiTH The Tuffy . More Security When The Top Is Off.:)

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Lockable console is definitely the way to go because it also protects your electronic gear from the weather when you have the top off...now what to put in it, CB or CD, that is a quandary! I heard someone makes a locking console that you can mount both your CB and CD in, now that is what you really need. Maybe someone will post a part number or link to a lockable console that accommodates both.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I will be putting a Tuffy console in my rig once I get the mechanical stuff behind me. Weather and theft protection all in one, and a clean dash to boot...

jbawall

Contributor
Loc.
Edgewood, Washington
I just finished putting in a tuffy with an alpine stereo and it works great. I had read before that the CD would skip because of the angle it is at, but I have not had one skip yet and it has been 2 weeks with it.

OP
OP
Z Bronco

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
Thanks everyone for your advice. I like the idea of security for both the CD and CB stuff. Now to decide on the wire location and whether I should put all the wires from the console under the tub to the frame. Any sugestions for weather proof speakers?

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Marine certified Alpine speakers might work well and sound great.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I like the idea of security for both the CD and CB stuff. Now to decide on the wire location and whether I should put all the wires from the console under the tub to the frame. Any sugestions for weather proof speakers?

fastback

Loc.
Asheboro, NC

I am doing something similar with a custom made console and had the same question about wire placement. Not to hijack, but any suggestions from the tuffy owners on running power/speaker wires?

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
On mine the wires run along the side of the tunnel cover inside a wire loom doesn't look too bad

Incognito

Loc.
Key West, Florida
Wiring

In run my wiring from the Tuffy down through a hole and back up where it needs to be. It is all neatly tucked against frame in convoluted tubing. No wires show and the tubing protects from heat/dirt etc... No issues in a few years. My Alpine and JVC's both skipped on occassion. I have the same JVC stereo in my wife's 350Z and it never skips but it does a little in the Bronco.

As for marine speakers you need to go with good ones or they are horrible. I am a charter capt so tunes on the boat is a daily necessity and weather eats up speakers.

I found the Kicker marine stuff to be the best. Stay away from the clarion and cheaper poly-planer etc....JL Audio is also moving heavily into marine stereos and have pushed their way into boats through the manufacturers. There stuff is good but more $$$$.

Big Del

Loc.
JC Oregon
I've done some research on speakers and found that Focal speakers are marine rated and sound very good. They do sound best with an amp but if you get a good mosfet deck it will sound pretty clean.

BIGED

Guru ????
I Did Marine Stereo, Speakers And Amp . I Have The Amp Under The Passanger Seat Got To Move It Hit A Hole That Was Deeper Than It Looked Water Up To The Tunnel Amp Made A Loud Noise And Went Out . Two Weeks Later It Came Back On Works Great. I Do Have Skips On Trails And Rough Roads .

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
My stereo skipped in my tuffy, but it was a crapy deck. It is a great concept and the only downside really is the wiring.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I've got a JVC deck and changer in my tuffy. The deck skips sometimes, not too bad but the changer never skips. But for size considerations you might want to consider a deck that you can plug in an i-pod/MP3/satilite directly into the front of the deck and never worry about skips or CD's getting damaged or ripped off again. Plus, you can fit so much on them. The 3 year old I-pod shuffle I have can hold like 250 songs and they are only smaller, cheaper and hold more now. As for wires, you could run them under the truck, just make sure to use gromets to protect the wires where they come through the body. I'd probably put them through a wire loom too.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I've got an alpine cd player / ipod controller in my tuffy console. Not sure how it works since I haven't got it mounted in the bronco yet. But I heard Alpines worked really well at that angle.