• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tuffy stereo box mounting question?

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
About to order my Tuffy box and had a question. The catalogs say that "most will use the 8" box" Well I did some measuring and am wondering how far back they mount. I have 10.5" between the seats, but if it goes all the way back to the seatbelt mounts I only have 8" of clearance. I changed seats and have bronco 2 buckets in it now. I know a lot of folks have these so could you let me know how far back they normally mount? Thanks, Mike

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
i dont have any pics right now, but i can post some later. personally, i wish i would have mounted mine up further than i did. when i drive my elbow just barely rests on the pad. currently, mine is flush with the seats. ill post some pics later.

Brewbro21

If it helps they are 24" long, all models. You can take the front cup holders off I believe should it be a clearance issue. Also you can always move your sseat belt bolts, that's what I'm doing.

OP
OP
H

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
Grizzly...thanks, that may be the reason they say that the 8" is ideal...maybe I should measure again with my butt in the seat and see if I lose any of the 10 inches.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I mounted mine in line with the rear of the seat so I could use it for an army rest. As long as it does not interfere with your shifters up front just mount it where you find it most comfortable. If the seatbelt bolts are in the way just use spacers (u should have got some with the Bronco mounting kit).

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I ordered the ten. The consoles are predrilled to mount with three holes in the bottom. THey also send you 3 ~1.5 inch spacers. I did not use the "Bronco specific" mount. I simply moved the console forward where I would want it for the best arm-comfort and finger-tip stereo access without affecting the shifters. Marked the three holes and drilled, installed the spacers between the console and the floor (I have a vinyl mat) and installed it with grade 8 bolts and grade 8 locking nylon nuts. The spacers give ample height to keep the selt-belts in their stock location. However, you will need to remove the console 1st before removing seat belts or seats. It fits pretty good. I am running Eddie Bauer Explorer seats for now, and they are pretty wide. If I remember right, I had about 10.5 or 11 inches for mine too. Good luck.

Brewbro21

I never heard about the bronco mounting kit. Does this cost extra or is it included? I bet it'll caome with the mass buy though, don't you think?

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
Mine isn't installed yet but... I did weld in some 1"x1" square tube on both sides so I could install my box over the seatbelt bolts. I have two 8" consoles and neither of them fit between the bolts. I also needed the added height since I'm kinda a tall guy and where the box sat naturally was too low to be comfortable for my arm. I also moved my cup holder up on the front of the box. I used self taping screws to attach it and it's pretty sturdy. Goes over the tranny hump with no problems now.

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
Brewbro21 said:
I never heard about the bronco mounting kit. Does this cost extra or is it included? I bet it'll caome with the mass buy though, don't you think?

Good question, does it come with the mass buy?

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I have the ten inch stereo console and it works great. I have the cup holder on the front also and I just butted it up against the tranny hump and everything lines up with my arm. The spacers that come with it can be moved to anyplace you want to move them to and that will get them over the seatbelt bolts. I drilled new holes to move the mounting locations to where I need them.

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
heres the pics of my 8in. i wanna say it came with mounting kit, then again, i might have asked for it, dont remember. if you dont get one, itd be really easy to fab one up.

Attachments

• P1010017.JPG
    P1010017.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 43
  • front seat view.JPG
    front seat view.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
hijack for a moment. from the pics i take it a tuffy does not work with a half cab? can any one asnwer this? it looks to long. Sorry for the hijack. Thanks

cbfomoco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WV
the only reason i say that is in meat's post it looks like it would be past the bottom holes for a bulkhead. so out of courisity i hijacked. thanks and sorry again

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
In his post he has the cup holders mounted low. They bump into the tranny cover and make the thing much longer then it needs to be. Remove the cup holder and move the console forward. Then re-locate the cup holders where you want them. Hell, I even contemplated moving the cup holders to the dash... Should work just fine with a half cab. ;D ;D

SACHEM

Back From the Dead
I have a tuffy console in my half cab. I couldn't get it to fit with the cup holders installed. It doesn't bother me since the drink holders are so small.

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Henrietta said:
Sachem, gotta quit trying to put the big gulp in there! ;D Or the quarts of beer!

I thought that was what the larger portion of the console was for. ;D