• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Two quick questions about doing rear main seal

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
[quote author=madgyver link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=15#107652 date=1045267059]<br>[quote author=74bronc link=board=5;threadid=14261;start=0#107276 date=1045147961]<br>This may not be an option for you, but I have never done a rear main with the engine in the EB. I always pull the engine. For me, it's much faster seeing as I have an engine hoist. I can usually have the engine out and sitting on the stand in about 1.5 hours. Then I can flip it over easily and work on the bottom end. I always freshen up other stuff while I'm in there. Replace any gaskets that need to be done, new motor mounts, etc. I would definitely replace the oil pump seeing as they are less than 30 bucks. Get a standard volume as high volume is not needed on the SBF. Just another option. ;D<br>[/quote]<br> Same here! Much easier to do on an engine stand than laying on your back. But of course I also have an engine hoist available when I need it.<br> Once you try it both ways you'll understand why..<br>[/quote]<br>I must admit - removing the engine is the way to go - if you have the facilities to do it.

77bronko

Loc.
Norfolk MA
I guess I would rather spend less time and lie on my back. Nothing wrong with a pair of safety goggles and a padded creeper.