• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ultimate trail necessities must have list?

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Good grief, where in the heck do you put all of this stuff????

I keep all mine In between the rear seat and tailgate, under passenger seat, glovebox, strapped to roll bar. I would like to eventually custom fab a rear box that extends over the rear wheelwells for storage. Maybe I should add that into the other thread huh?:)

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I don't like breaking on the trail, or being unprepared if I can avoid it, so I tech everything. I have checklists. It's the Boy Scout in me.

You're more than welcome to go ahead and print them off, and use them if you like.

I've got a box that fits between the rear seat, and the tailgate that holds the bulk of this stuff. Most spare big parts stay in the trailer. I keep my cooler and toolbag and common parts in soft-sided toolbags that are strapped to some eyebolts in the back.

A tip:

Pick up some 3/8" eye bolts, and anchor them down in the rear corners. Take a ratchet strap, and using your angle grinder, cut off the hooks. Replace the hooks with snaplinks (like a carabiner) and snap them to the eyebolts. You won't lose your strap that way, or have to wrestle with keeping it hooked when loaded down with junk for the trail. I even trimmed my straps to a more convenient length, so I didn't have long streamers for those highway sections.

Attachments

• Wheelin Checklist.pdf
    41.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Wheelin Checklist1.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 78

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I don't like breaking on the trail, or being unprepared if I can avoid it, so I tech everything. I have checklists. It's the Boy Scout in me.

You're more than welcome to go ahead and print them off, and use them if you like.

I've got a box that fits between the rear seat, and the tailgate that holds the bulk of this stuff. Most spare big parts stay in the trailer. I keep my cooler and toolbag and common parts in soft-sided toolbags that are strapped to some eyebolts in the back.

A tip:

Pick up some 3/8" eye bolts, and anchor them down in the rear corners. Take a ratchet strap, and using your angle grinder, cut off the hooks. Replace the hooks with snaplinks (like a carabiner) and snap them to the eyebolts. You won't lose your strap that way, or have to wrestle with keeping it hooked when loaded down with junk for the trail. I even trimmed my straps to a more convenient length, so I didn't have long streamers for those highway sections.

Excellent List Gummi Bear... :eek: :eek: ;D

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
-Hard liquor (for when you break)
-3 gallons of water
-a 30 pack per person
-Stove
-D44 hub tool
-extra hubs
-ARB air hose
-2 ft 3/8's fuel hose
-high lift
-> 5 gallons extra gas
-1310 u-joints
-spare front shafts
-sleeping bag
-tent
-at least 1 qt of fluid per oil filled part (engine, trans, xfer-case, winch, radiator, differentials)
-ignition parts

That's what I take wheeling.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I have yet to see a bottle opener on here. Makes it much easier to open bottles in camp than using the door striker. Blender should be listed to keep the stacked willing young thing happy as well. Or to at least make her willing.

Sunglasses, extra snuff, and for me, the tard helmet.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Multiple hose clamps for obvious reasons
Pepper works great to plug pinholes in radiator
Lighter
I like to carry a few makita tools...
...Drill, flourescent light, Impact.
A few small rolls of varied wire w/ mentioned assorted connectors
Gerber or Leatherman
First aid kit
Friction tape, this works very well tp help patch things like hoses with the aid of ductape.
A section of copper tubing to fit inside of radiator hose incase of blowout.

Try to think of the most rediculous thing that can keep on the side of the trail. Most of the time this is what happens.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
This brings up something i have always wondered, say you drain a diff on the trail, how long would it stay togehter without fluid? You never really see any speed, so I would think it would make it a ways.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
This brings up something i have always wondered, say you drain a diff on the trail, how long would it stay togehter without fluid? You never really see any speed, so I would think it would make it a ways.

Good question, I suppose it would depend on the load put on the R&P. If going down hill to get back to camp, should be ok. If going up a steep, long climb (couple miles) to get back... I'd expect a failure.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Gummi, you are the man!;D

Curious if everything you do is well thought out that way or just wheelin??:? :p

DB69:cool:

Pretty much just wheelin...

Most of the rest of my life is a disaster of monumental proportions. (8(I) LOL

The box that I carry most of my stuff in, is about the size of a foot locker, like you had in summer camp. Some soft sided tool bags can be found at HF and TSC on sale for just a few bucks a piece. The ratchet straps, I bought a package of 4 for $20. My first aid kit, pretty much fills the Tuffy console. Each person has a daybag, with their essentials (personal meds, snack, raincoat, etc), clipped to the seat bracket or whatever is handy. I keep a snatch strap, and shackles on a tie down strap (fastex buckle) and clipped to the passenger seat frame, so it's easy to get to. I also like to keep a notepad and some sharpie's in the truck, in case I need to make a note (ball point's dry out on me) I can also get my wife to sign any new dents she puts in the rig.;D

I like to use ice blocks in my cooler, instead of bag ice when I can. When you flop, or are off camber, that cold water pouring out of the cooler can be quite a shock.:eek: For cheap ice blocks, I like to use 2L soda bottles, fill them 3/4 full, and freeze them. When I need them, I stick on the cap, and toss it in the cooler.

No matter what, I carry enough food and water for an overnighter, even on a local out-n-back trail, in case of a breakdown or emergency.

If you've got kids, bring lots of fun snacks (fruit, fruit-roll-ups, Goldfish crackers, pretzels, etc) and lots of small juice boxes, and kid sized water bottles. Travel games, a favorite stuffed animal and blankie are also a good idea (remember a spare, for at camp, so they've got something clean) If it's a toddler, don't forget an extra pacifier (that was a crummy day on the trail when my daughter dropped hers in the river) Make sure that you bring enough snacks and toys to share with other kids, who may not have the same fun stuff. A 'trailside' playgroup can be a terriffic success. A couple of small pails to collect rocks and other treasures they find on the trail is also a lot of fun. Bubbles are always a smash hit. A frizbee or some sort of a ball might seem like a good idea, but when it goes down the dangerous hill, Momma will veto that future decision.

I learned these things the hard way.

earlybronco5

Loc.
Harvest, Alabama
Also consider taking extra lugs, bolts - plastic ties or clamps. These things were needed by different riders at the July Tellico event ON THE TRAIL. I didn't have any lugs...but I luckily had the other 2. Also - a small compressor is advisable. (That was needed also on trail) AND DON"T FORGET THE JACK! It's amazing the things you NEVER think of till you need it. It sure is good to have buds and go in a group! :)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I forgot the JB Weld! Best stuff I have ever used. Used it once to patch a gear box on a Trail 90. That temporary fix turned out to be permanent.

firehawk

Loc.
Clawson, Michigan
Might as well just stay in the garage. J/k but that is alot of stuff to bring.

You might need to get a fullsize to pack it all in. I like to be prepared but sometimes ingenuity is the only thing you need.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
For me..... Fishing poles and bait for catching the big ones....