• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

uncut, 1" body lift tire size

jcb9089

Searched but can't find answer.

72, uncut, stock suspension, 1" body lift. Old steel wagon wheels, 15x8

Whats' biggest size tire people run with this combo?

31x10.5x15 fit or need the 30x9.5x15

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Back to the top.
Pretty sure it's not much different from an uncut without a body lift. And it's possible it'll be the 8" wide wheels giving you the most grief.
Do you know what the backspacing is on them?

Personally I do not like a 9.50 tire on an 8" wheel, and consider a 10.50 to be the bare minimum for an 8" wheel. Not that it wouldn't fit, just that it's at the ragged edge of the acceptable wheel sizes. Then again, it might even be out of the range depending on the specific tire model. The manufacturer will list that range.

Generally speaking though, a 31x10.50 will fit on an uncut, so it'll fit with the 1" lift.
But if the wheels don't have at least 4" of backspacing, your outer tire edge will likely rub slightly on the rear wheel well opening. That's why a 7" wheel is more easily tucked in than an 8 on a Bronco.
Of course, the narrower tire might make for some more leeway in the wheel and backspacing department, but then it falls into that category of the combination I just don't like the look of.
Too small of a tire for a Bronco, and (for me at least) too small of a tire for the wheel.

So the best scenario for now would be if you have lots of backspacing on those 8's.

Good luck. Maybe others will have a variation on this that can help you out.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
31 X 10.5 X 15 on a otherwise stock Bronco with only a 1" body lift and 8 inch wide wheels will most likely rub the front lower part of the front fender when turning. It will in most cases rub the rear fender lip on an uncut rear quarter. 7" rim is much better and can still be a problem if the axles are not perfectly centered in the body wheel wells. We were working on a stock Bronco and the rear wheel clearance was a big problem until we found out the rear axle was off center to the body by over an inch. That opened up a big can of worms.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
To take this one step further..I have 17" dodge wheels with 4 1/2" back spacing. If I put the 31 X 10.5 will this rub? If a 10.5 fits the taller wheel should reduce the sidewall bulge and get me more clearance I think.

I am considering going a little taller and alot wider than my stockish P235 wide on there now.

Mr. Lav

John, I have a set of 30x9.50 on 15 rims. I will be back home this weekend I can pull them off of the half cab and let you try them

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To take this one step further..I have 17" dodge wheels with 4 1/2" back spacing. If I put the 31 X 10.5 will this rub?

Probably not on the outer edge of the rear wheel opening. Not sure about the shocks, but I think there's enough clearance for the 4.5" without trouble. Someone will know for sure.
But it might rub that little lip of the inner front fender skirt. Certainly has a good chance of rubbing the radius arm too.
But the good news is that neither of those is a dire situation. The skirt can be trimmed without anyone ever noticing unless they're intimately familiar with EB's, and the radius arms don't hurt tires very much. Just rubs some paint off the arm and makes a gawdawful noise!

And it might not even rub the lip at all. It just "can" in some situations.

...If a 10.5 fits the taller wheel should reduce the sidewall bulge and get me more clearance I think.

Sidewall bulge is a hard thing to factor.
For one, the actual bulging of the tire with a taller sidewall is only on the ground, under the weight of the truck. Up at the top where the fenders might rub, there is no weight-bulge.

And the "bulge" that most talk about from a narrower wheel is not actually a bulge at all, but a visually narrower bead rolling the sidewall rounder a bit. But it's not in any way pushing the sidewall farther out.
The measurement of a tire's tread and sidewall on a 7" vs 8" wide wheel is absolutely minimally different. And it does not make any part of the tire wider by pulling the bead farther in. Just makes it rounder.

But given the same back-spacing, the narrower wheel does move the overall location of the sidewall inward. Away from the fender lip.
Hence narrower wheels giving you more leeway typically.

Again though, it all comes down to backspacing no matter what width the wheel is.

Paul

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul! I was going to go low profile (ish) for better handling but my kids like the look of a larger, meatier tire!

I am going to try and find some used and see how they fit before I buy a new set.

66BlueGoose

Contributor
I am running BFG Mud 31x10.5x15 tires on a 15x8 rim, no body lift. I can tell you the front inner lip on the front fenders needs to be clipped for this setup. If not, the tire catches as it goes through the turning arc. If I had the 1" body lift, it would be fine. I can't give you advise on the rear, the rear has been cut. For picture, check our Rick in my garage. The other Bronco is on 30x9x15 BFG AT with stock rims.