• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Under body paint options?

EB70

Contributor
I have done a body off build on a couple of vehicles including an early Bronco. I think the last one I undercoated. One I used POR. This new build is going to be more of a 4x4 crawler. I would like a paint that I can coat it with, make it look decent, shed grease and so forth. In addition to that I will undoubtedly be welding on it, screwing to it etc. occasionally. I am planning for future mods.

I love the idea of lizard skin, or perhaps POR again , even raptor lining. But they all have one thing in common, the inability to be touched up easily when you weld on it.

Is there a decent paint that a guy can get that has the ability to be matched with spray paint? I've used Rustoleum in the past, and I am looking at Eastwood chassis black now.

I'm quite happy to get something local and use it if you have any ideas about a paint I can get at Home Depot or something.

The build is just not going to be a one and done thing. There will be changes etc. as it morphs into the next stage.

Thank you!

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
OK TY. I will look into that. I didn't know that was an option. I was thinking Eastwood stuff was my best go....

papy

Contributor
went with POR and brushed it on my 67 frame. After several weeks I decided to ad the dual rear shocks so away I went sanding off (more like grinding off that stuff is a b**ch to get off) the areas to weld the new shock mount on. once the welding was done I sanded around the welds where the POR had burned up. I wasn't sure how the touch up POR would blend in with the already cured POR. After it dried I couldn't even tell where the seams were it was smooth and seamless.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
OK. I like the stuff. I just need to decide. It is not an emergency. I wasn't aware it was that fluid with tough ups so that is good to know. Also, I didn't see the spray paint mentioned on their website that precisely matches.

I know Eastwood offers a chassis black with corresponding spray can that matches. Rust protection is not that important here as I live on the west coast and don't drive a ton in winter.

I am tempted to run the Eastwood stuff. I spilled a fair amount of POR on the cement in a shop right where people walk. You can still see it pretty clearly. And that was 20 years ago......

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Paint & bedliner are NOT the correct materials for the underbody. Paint chips & then traps salty, dirty, sandy water against the steel, causing corrosion. Bedliner is too hard, and transmits noise inside. The correct coating for the underbody is... (wait for it) ...undercoating. It's soft & rough enough that it doesn't transmit sound well, and it's so soft that it doesn't chip. But it's so adhesive (if the surface is clean & dry before application) that it doesn't peel or flake, to hold water. And it's cheap & easy to touch-up.

(click this text)