• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

uneven steering

broncobillc

Loc.
high desert, ca
i just installed my power steering that I bought months ago and my truck steers way farther to the drivers side. did it always do this because of the lift(3 1/2") and I just never made it that far before my arms gave out. I never noticed it before but thats not saying much. would an adjustable drag link fix this. thanks for any help.

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
I had the same thing happen to me with the 3.5 inch lift. I installed the rock crusher adjustable trac bar today it was an easy install just drill out the trac bar brackcet to 3/4 ", but I probably wont finish the rest of the linkage til sunday( it took a couple of hours to drill 3/4" hole through pitman arm, I don't know how long it will take to get through the knuckles. I will let you know how it works out if noone else replies.

OP
OP
B

broncobillc

Loc.
high desert, ca
Thanks for the post. I went ahead and took it out today and wheeled some local trails and right turns are a killer! just can't make it steer fast enough, but left turns rub the radius arms BAD on exteme turns. I have had my pitman arm off 3 times to make sure I was on the right tooth. let me know what you find out
thanks

michael084

Loc.
Santa Rosa Beach, Fl
Got the adjustable trac bar installed, now it scrubs both ways, which is preferable to just one side I guess. From what I have seen myself it would be hard to get the arm on the wrong slot, on mine there are four and thesteering wouldnt function at all on the wrong one. When I had a buddy turn the wheel with the arm off to center it, the pitman only turns a little. The five and a half turns lock to lock on the steering wheel only translate to about 45 degrees give or take at the pitman arm shaft. Measure from some reference points on your frame to your front end. I used a straight edge from my frame straight down to the radius arms at the same spot on both sides, and just got the measurements the same, by adjusting the trac arm. By the way my front end was sitting 3/4 of an inch to the drivers side. I think yours may be going the other way.If you have a trac bar drop bracket try the other hole and see if that helps.If not the rock crusher adjustable bar was only 115.00 plus shipping. Anyone else feel free to input some knowledge, I am just able to tell you what I did, some of these guys definitely know more than me.