• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Update Axle housing end sleeveable or do you have to replace?

Bronchole

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chatsworth, Ca (LA)
When I had my ends replaced they actually butt welded them on. Not what I would prefer, but I have been beating on them for a few years now and no problems yet!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I had my ends replaced they actually butt welded them on. Not what I would prefer, but I have been beating on them for a few years now and no problems yet!

When done properly, a butt weld should be stronger than the materials being welded. Piloted slip fits only work if the housing is straight since you're aligning the housing ends with the tube, not the diff bearings.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
We got the ends back yesterday about noon. The machining cost me $35 so all together I have $105 in the project. After work we fitted the first end. We had to cut 1/8 more off the housing but once we did that everything went together and the mesuraments were right. We drilled two holes for plug welds for added strength and to aid in the allignment process. Also chanfered the ends of the housing for a better deeper weld penetration. The ends were already chamfered.

We moved to the other side and repeated the process.

Ran kittens (joking) through the housing tubes till clean and then just to get EVERYTHING out we used a pressure wahser.

With both ends sitting in the housing everything measures out dead on within a 1/32 to a 1/64 and to me that's dang close.

Went fishing this morning and just got back. My daughter has a softball tournement starting at 1PM so might not get to aligning and welding today.

Will keep you posted.

Tim

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Got this welded up on Sunday. Eveything went together like a glove. That housing isn't bent but it does have one tube that's oblonged. We found this when taking the measurments to get the ends machined.

The ends went into place, third member installed (with gasket) and the axles (with bearings on) were incerted, everything mesured out. Welded the plug welds and took more measurments. Everything was on so we finished the job of welding it. Measured again and eveything was still on.

Now if I could get thoes bearing off the axles, I could put everything back together.

Tim

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I would have bought the alignmment bar and its been a while but I think it was around $200 for the pucks and bar for the 9 inch axle when I last looked. I can't see how one could make sure that both axle ends are concentric with each other and the third member too by using the axle shafts. On a trail rig I would have no problem with it but not on an axle I drive on the street.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would have bought the alignmment bar and its been a while but I think it was around $200 for the pucks and bar for the 9 inch axle when I last looked. I can't see how one could make sure that both axle ends are concentric with each other and the third member too by using the axle shafts. On a trail rig I would have no problem with it but not on an axle I drive on the street.

The allignment bars I found were $400-$600. The housing wasn't bent that I could find. We took all kinds of measurement, used levels and angle gauges and only found one thing wrong with the housing. One tube is slighly oblonged.

The factory ends fit inside the tubes and there is a meachened "stop" in the trubes for the ends to butt up to. If the housing is level and the ends are streight and level once slid into the tubes, it's as good as the factory would do. The bearings act as the pucks on the rod. So if the bearings slid into the ends it has to be lined up right? That's what the pucks are for to allign the ends.

Maybe I have this thing all screwed up only time will tell. I do have lots of pics and will post them soon

Tim

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I'm sure it will work I would just worry my self crazy not knowing if the end flanges were square and in line with each and the third member.

Its been a couple of years since I search for the alignment bar and I can not recall where I saw it at.

OP
OP
Timmy390

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
This project has been complete for a couple of weeks now. Everything went back together with no issues. The axles with the new bearing were gently tapped into the housing using a rubber hammer. While I had things taken apart, I gave the rear brakes all new parts. The 4.11's really woke the Bronco up.

I posted the pics of the project in the photos section. If someone will tell me how to post pictures (the thumbnails I see on so may threads) I'll do a small write-up/show and tell of what we did and how.

I've already started (today) on the front gear change. I'm also doing the "all ford" disc upgrade while I'm at it.

Tim