• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Updated: Colorado emission testing questions

Hellonweelz

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone know of a good place I can get my bronco tested in
Springs? Someplace that might be simpathetic to those of us that chose to work on our own stuff. Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

icecream man

Loc.
Colorado
Because of the age of your vehicle you don't need to go the regualr emmisions testing centers. Just take it to a local Mom and Pop testing station. Usually for another couple of bucks they'll tweak your carb on the spot if needed. If memory serves, I paid about $15 to get tested and passed last year. I used a place off of Broadway in Englewwod. Little out of your way.

huged29

Loc.
Ft Collins, Colorado
I don't know about the springs but up in fort collins I just take mine to a little mom and pop shop and they could care less. I just give em the $15 and 5 minutes later I am out the door. Overall Colorado is pretty forgiving with their emission laws.

Mazeing

The last time I had mine tested in the Springs was about 10 years ago at some kind of quick lube place on Academy across from Home Depot. I don't seem to remember them testing both of my pipes;)
The good thing is that once it's tested, you don't have to do it again (unless you move to California like I did:'( ) and you get the Collector's license plates that are good for 5 years. I think mine was $125 total for the 5 years:cool:

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Yep! I had mine tested at the same place as Mazeing. Still have the CO tags two years after moving to GA (shshssh, don't tell anyone I am not a student). So sweet. DMV only once every five years. I have a clean air sticker for sale........

Kidding.

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
Make sure you get the Collector plates. It's a real pain to go through every year. I made the ms. mad by giving up her personalized plate (HERS II) but I got tired of emissions every year. My 5 years is up this Aug and am looking forward to another 5. I did hear something about only getting Collector plates if your vehicle wasn't driven daily but on weekends and by little old ladies though.;D ;D ;D

U

Unregistered

Cool, I'll look for the place and get the collector plate. Should work out fine. I'll cross my fingers and hope I don't have to rejet the carb or something. Even if I do, the Edlebrock carb is very simple to work on. Thanks for the ideas.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I did mine at Peterson AFB. Just had to tweak the carb a little, but it passed with flying colors. I too should have gotten collector plates. I'll be getting collector plates when I get this thing back on the road.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I have a Carter AFB, which is the same thing as your Edelbrock. Turn your idle mixture screws clockwise a 1/4 at time until it starts to stumble. Remember how far in you turned these so you can put it back after the test. Make sure your idle isn't too high (it shouldn't be after leaning it out so much). Change your oil and put in a new air filter. You should then pass anywhere with flying colors, if not something you should fix is probably wrong. The testing standards are pretty lax for older vehicles.

thrakkor

Loc.
Colo Spgs
basically if you go with collector plates (25 yrs or older), you hafta get emissions, and pay for your tags for 5 yrs, and pay again every 5 years without having to get a new emissions test each time. if it is super old (40's - 50's), you don't even need emissions.

now if the vehicle changes owners, i think you hafta get retested.

also, most shops can't (won't) legally try and get you to pass the test. you just hafta search and find one that will. the price has also gone up to $25 per test from $15.

last time i did emissions was on my '85 f150 after i had swapped intake, carb and exhaust and a bunch of emissions junk.

i had Thor at Thor's Automotive (off nevada south of austin bluffs/gog) tune it up for me and then i took it to Lube Stop (iirc) on filmore hill and they didn't even do a visual check (would have proly failed-even with smog pump and egr in place). it passed well under all of the requirements.

OP
OP
H

Hellonweelz

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
I just went in to a lube place and passed without any problem. Apparently there isn't any visual inspection because I have none of the existing emmission stuff. There was just a fairly lax idle and 2500 rpm sniffer.

Now to go wait in line at the DMV to get my collector tags.

Oh, I did turn my mixture pretty lean and changed my primary jets and needle. Also fixed an ignition wire causing a miss. But now I returned the carb to original, runs much better now. ;D