• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upgrades you regret

Contributor
We always see the upgrades that people wish they did sooner or dream about doing. But what about the upgrade you wish you wouldn’t have done now in hindsight. What’s an upgrade you haven’t been happy with?

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
hmmm, maybe the WH san felipe rear weld in cage (to make it a family cage)? I wish i would just removed the cage entirely and bought a KE or Bailie

joebronco73

Contributor
Loc.
Lago Vista, TX
We always see the upgrades that people wish they did sooner or dream about doing. But what about the upgrade you wish you wouldn’t have done now in hindsight. What’s an upgrade you haven’t been happy with?
This is going to seem strange, but hear me out...I wish I had done Ford front disc brake conversion over the standard GM conversion. Not that the conversion kits from the vendors is bad or performs poorly, but I have an affinity to keep as many parts under one manufacturer banner as possible. I also wish I hadn't done bedliner (DIY kit), but its not that big of an issue.

Tricky Dick

Contributor
but I have an affinity to keep as many parts under one manufacturer banner as possible.
I'm the opposite, the older I get the more and more I'm willing to use whatever is best/easier regardless of manufacturer.

This could be a good thread. I've watched so many 6G people hoover up any accessory they can get their hands on and most are not great.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
One thing I did years ago was try to piece together things like Power steering conversions and suspension lifts my self. I would use used parts, off brand stuff swap meet parts and make up the kits. The results worked ok in most cases but the final product was rarely as good as a conversion from a vendor. The last few lift kits, power brake kits and power steering kits I bought as complete kits from the vendors and the over all results and ease of installation was worth every penny.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
@ep67bro Same thing here! i'm still fairly new to the early broncos but i've frankensteined and pieced together components on other builds. I dont have the time/effort to do this anymore and the off the shelf kits are a much cleaner end result. No matter how busy I get, i will always refuse to let anyone else work on my rigs. off the shelf kits are as far as i'll go on the "built, not bought" spectrum.:ROFLMAO:

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I tried the Holley Sniper EFI when it first came out. After 6 months of trying to figure out its gremlins I put the carb back on.

I attempted going to 4.5" lift. I was surprised how much that extra 1" will mess with your drive quality and what is required to get it right. Ended going back down to 3.5"

Of course neither were complete regrets. I learned a lot through both processes.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I regret that I flared the front fenders on my rig and that I had my friend install them so high. At the time I thought I needed them for tire clearance under extreme articulation. In retrospect, I should've left them alone and maybe done the 'Stroppe roll' on the front leading edges for tire clearance.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Building a streetable trail rig.
Made a good trail rig. Barely good enough for the street. Lost the fun to drive around town factor. Was one step away from turning into a trailer queen, but lacked a trailer and a tow rig.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At the time installed a 1990 FI 5.0 Lopo 160 hp 280 tq instead with the same trouble I could have found a mustang 5.0. 1993
however the engine only had 40,000k miles on it from a Lincoln town car. Can cruise all day at 70/75mph. But I do want more power now, but it runs perfect haaa
So I have the dilemma of leaving it, or new motor

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2.5 inch suspension and Bilsteins. Like Broncobowsher said of his mod, this took the fun driving out of the picture. All I do is roll, pitch, and yaw my way across the landscape. Feels like driving a boat on choppy water.

OP
OP

Contributor
2.5 inch suspension and Bilsteins. Like Broncobowsher said of his mod, this took the fun driving out of the picture. All I do is roll, pitch, and yaw my way across the landscape. Feels like driving a boat on choppy water.

Have you considered adding sway bars?

OP
OP

Contributor
Building a streetable trail rig.
Made a good trail rig. Barely good enough for the street. Lost the fun to drive around town factor. Was one step away from turning into a trailer queen, but lacked a trailer and a tow rig.

Ahh I worry about that with mine!

fluffybunny

Contributor
That should be fairly easy to correct. I did the same lift/shocks on mine, used 7 degree bushings, adjustable track bar, and my own toe adjustment. Mine drives perfectly, even through ruts and potholes on the road. Prior to that with the stock 50 year old suspension, you had better hang on hitting a dip on the road trying to guess what lane you would be thrown into. Hope you get it lined out and able to enjoy the drive!

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
That should be fairly easy to correct. I did the same lift/shocks on mine, used 7 degree bushings, adjustable track bar, and my own toe adjustment. Mine drives perfectly, even through ruts and potholes on the road. Prior to that with the stock 50 year old suspension, you had better hang on hitting a dip on the road trying to guess what lane you would be thrown into. Hope you get it lined out and able to enjoy the drive!
Out of curiosity, where did you land on best value for toe for your rig?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Wish I had either rebuilt the 2 bbl carb I had or purchased a 500cfm 2bbl instead of spending money on new intake and 4bbl carb. The secondaries do nothing but burn fuel on a stock 302.
But a 4 barrel does sound good