• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Upper idler pulley on explorer front dress??

NJBronco

I got all new pulleys and an ac delete pulley. Everything went on but the upper idler on the ac side. I seem to only have a little rubber bushing, bolt and a washer that threads into the bolt. But the ac side bracket doesn't have a cast sleeve for the bearing. I'm wondering if I'm missing a mental sleeve or does the washers just crush the inner bearing race? It's off a 2000 explorer 5.0

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's come up recently that there are two completely different designs that Ford use on the Explorer idler. Different attaching methods at least, but same diameter pulley.

Is yours the type with the small lip, or is it smooth all the way out to it's curved edge?
And is the type you got as a replacement the same as the type you took off in that regard?

Paul

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Smooth type and it's the same as what came off. Alignment spacing seems fine but I do t under stand why the lower pulley mount had the nice cast bushing that fits the bearing and the upper does not

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about that one either. Hopefully someone has the straight scoop for you.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, maybe it was just the wrong part in the box?
Seems like it could happen.

Paul

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

It matches my old pulley perfect. I can't seem to find anything on google that shows that upper pulley being installed. I may have to head to the junkyard and pull off a pulley to see if there's any bushings. Alignments fine but the bolts like have the diameter of the bearing hole. So I feel like I must have lost something

OP
OP
N

NJBronco

Someone must have an explorer setup that they can pop off the upper pulley to see what hardware goes on the bolt.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
My upper pulley had a funky little rubber 0-ring that centered the bolt that goes thru the inner race of the brg and holds it tight.

I've gone to a different pulley there now...

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
The one I just took apart had what looked like a metal star washer that threaded onto the bolt..It slipped into the idler pulley to center it on the bolt (about 1/8" thick). Then there was another star washer looking thing that screwed onto the bolt and snugged up against the race of the idler bearing. Was very solid and centered the idler nicely. Then the whole assembly was torqued onto the bracket. If the outside (larger) star would be left off, then the idler would not be centered...:cool:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Or you could have the Desert Dweller turn you a nice fitting collar that centers the bolt inside the inner race and that centers it! Thanks again... : )

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Someone must have an explorer setup that they can pop off the upper pulley to see what hardware goes on the bolt.

Here are the 2 versions of the bolt.

Attachments

• 20150207_134828.jpg
    20150207_134828.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20150207_134922.jpg
    20150207_134922.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
N

NJBronco

I have the bolt on the left. I guess if it fails I'll source the one on the right. Thanks for all the clarification guys. She's one and seems good for now