• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement (302 Small Block)

diggs00

Wanted to share the following instructions to replace valve cover gasket. I pulled most of this material from multiple threads on this site. Please feel free to poke holes in it and correct me before I start my gasket project.

Materials:
Valve cover washers (Valve Cover Hold Down Tabs)
Permatex HI-Tack
Torque Wrench 3 to 7 inch/lbs
Moroso 93060 gasket
Gasket Scraper
Brake cleaner
Rag

Removal:

Remove Bolts:
6 bolts

Keep stuff out of engine:
Take a clean towel, drape it over the rocker arms, and stuff it down into the head. Give it a light spray of WD and all of the crap will stick to the towel.

Clean Head gasket surface:
Gasket Scraper
Clean with brake cleaner on rag

Install:

Make sure valve cover itself is straight and flat and clean.
Apply Permatex HI-Tack to the valve cover (where gasket will sit).
Apply Permatex HI-Tack to the valve cover gasket. (valve cover side only).
Let the Hi-tack dry for a few minutes, when it's tacky, you press the pieces together and they should stick. This will allow you to make sure your gasket will not move during install
Place valve cover on header and install bolts with Valve Cover Hold Down Tabs finger tight , and add 1/2 turn. Start at center bolt of valve cover and work in a criss cross pattern.
Torque to 3 to 7 inch/lbs

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Mark plug wires prior to removal so you won't have to go back through firing order.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, X2 on marking your wires. I use a fender cover or old blanket so l don't scratch the paint. I also need something to stand on. A single edge razor blade can really get tough gasket material off. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And while you're in there, make sure to give it the old once over to make sure nothing is out of place.
Crazy how often a pushrod is bent or missing, or a rocker stud is starting to pull out of it's hole from metal fatigue or whatever.
An eyeball and/or a straightedge over the tops of them will tell you if one or more are pulling out.

You just fixing a leak, or did you have some work done on it?

Paul

OP
OP
D

diggs00

And while you're in there, make sure to give it the old once over to make sure nothing is out of place.
Crazy how often a pushrod is bent or missing, or a rocker stud is starting to pull out of it's hole from metal fatigue or whatever.
An eyeball and/or a straightedge over the tops of them will tell you if one or more are pulling out.

You just fixing a leak, or did you have some work done on it?

Paul

Just picked up the bronco, fixing leaks are my first goals. Going to attempt this hoping it is the root of my oil leak. Working from least effort to hardest so if this doesn't stop the leak then I will move to manifold then to oil pan and main seal. Hope it doesn't get that far though.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Wanted to share the following instructions to replace valve cover gasket. I pulled most of this material from multiple threads on this site. Please feel free to poke holes in it and correct me before I start my gasket project.

Materials:
Valve cover washers (Valve Cover Hold Down Tabs)
Permatex HI-Tack
Torque Wrench 3 to 7 inch/lbs
Moroso 93060 gasket
Gasket Scraper
Brake cleaner
Rag

Removal:

Remove Bolts:
6 bolts

Keep stuff out of engine:
Take a clean towel, drape it over the rocker arms, and stuff it down into the head. Give it a light spray of WD and all of the crap will stick to the towel.

Clean Head gasket surface:
Gasket Scraper
Clean with brake cleaner on rag

Install:

Make sure valve cover itself is straight and flat and clean.
Apply Permatex HI-Tack to the valve cover (where gasket will sit).
Apply Permatex HI-Tack to the valve cover gasket. (valve cover side only).
Let the Hi-tack dry for a few minutes, when it's tacky, you press the pieces together and they should stick. This will allow you to make sure your gasket will not move during install
Place valve cover on header and install bolts with Valve Cover Hold Down Tabs finger tight , and add 1/2 turn. Start at center bolt of valve cover and work in a criss cross pattern.
Torque to 3 to 7 inch/lbs

Depending on how tall your valve covers are, you may need to undo your throttle linkage and move it out of the way to be able to lift the valve cover high enough to clear the rocker arms.
Just use caution while the valve covers are off so nothing drops into the cylinders heads, down through the oil ports and gone. Unless you have some surface issues, you don't necessarily have to use any Permatex, the gaskets by themselves should seal the valve covers fine - but it's fine if you prefer some additional insurance against leaks.

Happy wrenching, have fun and enjoy.

DJs74

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I like to put a light coat of motor oil on the head side of the gasket. It won't hurt the seal and it'll make the valve cover easier to remove. If you don't over tighten, the gasket can be reused too.;)