• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Valve Cover Question

kbronco

I am having an issue with what sounds like my rockers clicking on my valve cover. I am running an edelbrock performer cam and am wondering if the little bit higher lift makes the rockers touch my M/T aluminum valve covers. Just wondered if anyone else had this problem. Currently I am just using the thin cork gaskets that came with my reseal kit. Do you think if I got some of the thick rubber ones it would make a difference, or do I need taller valve covers?

Thanks,
K

ugly74

Bronco abuser
you could try removing the covers, and then run it and see if the noise is still there. maybe it could be just one rocker hitting a baffle under the breather.

Itsa67

Sometimes if you get the PCV valve pushed into the valve cover to far it will make the sound you are describing. The lift on that cam shouldn't be close to enough to cause problems unless you have roller rockers which tend to take up more space.

OP
OP
kbronco

kbronco

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll try some of these things this weekend. If anybody else has any insight please go ahead and post.

K

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Vacuum hose in your ear, stick the other end on diffeent places along the valve cover. you can hear it getting louder.

Feel the valve covers. You may feel the tapping. Try pressing down on the valve cover, this may change the tapping due to pushing the valve cover a thousanth of an inch closer into the rocker or may dampen the sound with the mass of your hand.

Almost forget, when did this start? right after you put the cam in? you may have some pushrods that are too short.

May also be lifter that has collapsed, pushrod that bent or worn rocker/valve stem. Valves rarely wear looser, the face and seat wear and the seat rcesses into the head. This tightens valvetrain. Ever wonder why you see Isuze Passports needing an engine at 60k? No one adjusted the valves at 30k and the got too tight and burned. Never made any noise until they died.