• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Vin Decoder

gaaj427

Hello,

Ive got a 1977 Bronco that has a these codes in the Vin. I have looked on line but I didn't find a decoder. Does anyone have one or can tell me what these mean?

U15GLY

W.B -= 092

Color = I

type/GVW = U151

Body = RV

G = Trans

Axle = B8J

DSO = 55

thanks,
Greg

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
U15-wagon
G-v8
L-michigan plant
Y-need the rest of your vin to determine build date, Feb 77 at least

Wb-92"
I-bright medium blue
U151-4500gvw
RV-vinyl parchment buckets, no rear seat
G-auto 3sp trans
B8J- 3.50 gears with limited slip and power steering
55-St. Louis sales district

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
the most interesting are the first two numbers after U15GLY ! ;)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great thank you, I thought they all came with a rear seat.

Nope. Even the radio and front passenger seat were options. Not sure if Ford finally changed that, but for most of the run you had to specify practically everything.
You could get a wagon (full hard top) but with the pickup (half-cab) lower bulkhead installed. That one had no rear seat and most people called it a postal delivery or something like that (never had right hand drive though).
Two or three different styles of tire carrier. Four "body" styles (roadster, topless with doors, pickup/half-cab, wagon/full cab), and all sorts of power tool add-ons too.
Not sure if they were all dealer installed, but PTO winches, snow plows, rear mounted post-hole augers, all sorts of cool stuff.

3.50, 4.11 and 4.56 gears with or without limited-slip differentials.

You may have known all that other stuff already, and if so, sorry for rehashing it. But it's all cool stuff about our old EB's. Right down to not having holes in the floor if yours did not have a back seat from the factory.
Or, at least in most cases I think, no holes in the bed rail top for a hard top if you had a U14 half-cab model.

Have fun with yours. Hope you get to learn all it's old history. The Marti Reports may not tell you who owned it or whether they met their spouse hunting in it, but it'll tell you what dealer it sold out of and what date it was built. Still pretty cool stuff.

Paul