• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

VINs Don’t Match on Frame and Glove Tag

hammackp

Loc.
Greenville
I purchased what I think is a 1973 U15 in 2014 out of TX. I got a title through the SC DMV based on the glovebox tag U15GLQ02858. When I went to renew my registration this year they told me that someone else had registered the same VIN in AZ. I checked the frame and its VIN is U15GLP43222. I think I need to get a new title with the frame VIN but first I want to check to be sure it was not stolen. Has anyone dealt with this issue before? Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes, it happens.

Maybe there was a body swap at some time, or just a glove box door swap. Hard to really tell most of the time. Now that Broncos have gone up in value, all those old left over parts are now suddenly valuable and have been built and put on the road.

No magic to undo the past. Worst case I have seen required a state assigned VIN to be put on the Bronco that was made from a pile of parts and the VIN was already in use.

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
If you already had it registered how did the AZ guy register it again You would have had it first? None the less still does not answer your question or solve your problem so carry on with the regular program!

4xfun

What did you bill of sale and the previous title have listed? I think this issue has been posted before. If i remember correctly, the frame vin is the critical number. In order to get it straightened out, you are likely going to have to certify a statement on how you received the truck and hope that the frame vin number is not in use or stolen.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Did you not check that the frame vin versus the glove box door (warranty tag), versus the paper title vi #'s and confirm that they MATCHED when you bought it? Sounds like that mistake might of just caught up with you. And I hope for your sake this is not a rough $$ lesson learned. I know how those lessons can be $$.

I would start out with with asking YOUR DMV exactly what you need to do to get it legally titled in YOUR name and so it matches your current frame stamped # so all the #'s and paper work match. You already had it registered so good luck. I bet a insp of all vins on the frame, glove box door and paper title by a police dept, followed by some more paperwork from the police will be the route taken.

And then get ahold of Marti and hope you can get some tags that match the frame vi#. https://www.martiauto.com/tags.cfm

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Yes unfortunately this topic has been beat to death here and people continue to think the glove box and title are fine. Until this happens. The best option although risky is to do a search with DMV on the frame VIN and do a bonded title application. If it comes back as registered elsewhere too then you have an issue.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also check out the "Mind your P's and Q's" discussion here while you're at it.
Interestingly your two VIN's are in letter/year sequence, if not exactly in production sequence. Does your Bronco have a Certification Label on the driver's door pillar? If so, does it match the glovebox warranty plate?
Did the DMV happen to mention whether the currently registered vehicle in AZ was a recent sale, or has it been there a long time? Would not be normal info they'd provide, but in this case of a duplicate it would be interesting to know the timelines.

Good luck.

Paul

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Some info here - https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...g-title-issues-etc.307501/page-2#post-3463134

Check SC law to see what your options are (Google is your friend) - if you can get a bonded title for your frame VIN, that's a good choice. Otherwise, check out the link above for a discussion of the Vermont Loophole - that's another avenue. In the meantime, order a new WARRANTY TAG (sorry for the all caps, but the glovebox tag is not a VIN tag) from Marti. Once you have a new warranty tag and title that matches your frame VIN, you'll be good to go.

Good luck!

Scott

Timstrk

What really sucks is if it were stolen and now "found". Someone else owns it. Original loss or his/her insurance company. Very best of luck on getting it straight.