• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Volt meter in gauge cluster where do I hook it too?

stus70brc

Contributor
Just got my gauge cluster back from Kevin at ClassyChassisRestoration I had him install the volt meter in place of the ammeter. Where should I hook this volt meter too??

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
how about the 12V source going into the IVR on the back of the cluster? you can ground to one of the screws holding the gauges in. that's how I'd do it.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was gonna suggest clamping a piece of speaker wire in the positive battery post cable end and running it to the gauge through any hole in the firewall.

But Nick's suggestion is probably better. :p

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I was gonna suggest clamping a piece of speaker wire in the positive battery post cable end and running it to the gauge through any hole in the firewall.

That would only have worked if it was laid across the exhaust before it went through a sharp hole in the firewall.:-X

But Nick's suggestion is a lot simpler as well.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA

That's the way the PO of my rig "fixed" a lot of things. Good news is I got enough scrap wire when I cut it all out to pay for the package of heat shrink and solder to properly fix the wiring. ;D

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
don't forget to use at least 3 wire nuts and 2 twist and tape connections there bill. ;)
you just have to love the creative wiring we find n these old trucks from PO

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
don't forget to use at least 3 wire nuts and 2 twist and tape connections there bill. ;)

Whut?? do ya think I'm new??

But seriously... the '66 EB that we use as a yard utility vehicle has the ultimate in harness simplicity.

1. All the wires are green. No confusing color differences.

2. There are only 4 wires in total. Battery to ignition toggle switch. Toggle switch to coil. Power jumper power to momentary button. Momentary button to starter solenoid.

When the battery runs down, we throw another charge on it.

Envy me, but don't hate.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Just make sure you use the "source" voltage as Nick's mentioned not the regulated.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
bill ou need to get one of those inexpensive (note i did not say cheap to possibly offend you) solar chargers to keep the battery topped off. it can double as a drink holder on your dash... simplicity for 20 bucks... ;)

SHX669

Bronco Guru
bill ou need to get one of those inexpensive (note i did not say cheap to possibly offend you) solar chargers to keep the battery topped off. it can double as a drink holder on your dash... simplicity for 20 bucks... ;)
:);D - I like it .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just make sure you use the "source" voltage as Nick's mentioned not the regulated.

Good voltage, crap it's dead,
good voltage, crap it's dead,
good voltage, crap it's dead;)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Say...that's a great idear!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe it's time to have the old eyes checked?

pshaw. I used to work with complex warhead wiring and wrote many EOD instructions. For example:

1. Take out the 6 screws and remove the cover.

2. Locate and cut the red wire.

3. Do not cut the red wire before you cut the blue wire.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
pshaw. I used to work with complex warhead wiring and wrote many EOD instructions. For example:

1. Take out the 6 screws and remove the cover.

2. Locate and cut the red wire.

3. Do not cut the red wire before you cut the blue wire.

The last line item probably said something like "read ALL instructions carefully before beginning", I assume.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why couldn't you come out of the IVR?
Because you would get
Good voltage, crap it's dead,
good voltage, crap it's dead;)
The IVR is a pulsed output, that averages ~5V. You want a volt meter to read system voltage, not gauge voltage.

Now the wire going into the IVR, That is the good one we are recomending to use.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Why couldn't you come out of the IVR?

Have you never measured the "signal" that comes out of one? The IVR is a crude PWM device designed to operate the thermal elements in the Ford gauges. The fact that the IVR pulses power on-off does not matter to the thermal gauge elements because they are highly damped by their thermal inertia. But connect a plain ole voltmeter or other D'Arsonval-movement aftermarket gauge to the IVR output and things get "lively". ;D

Edit: 'bowsher types faster than I do...