• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Volt meter?

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very nicely done. It just looks better than the standard replacement.

So what's the chance that you would share the base file from your favorite drafting application with us?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sure, I can probably save it to some format that most people can use. I use Canvas, which almost nobody knows about or uses. Like an Autolite 4100, it just plain works. Still as I recall the final face had to be sized in the printing stage to get it right.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Since you've already got it all set up, how about this: you print a whole page of those faces on the same paper you used, cut them into singles, and then wait for SASEs to pour in, each with a few bucks to cover your time. ;) If you can get 20 faces on 1 page, that's $40-100 per sheet, with virtually no risk to you, and no fighting print scaling for us. ;D

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Since you've already got it all set up, how about this: you print a whole page of those faces on the same paper you used, cut them into singles, and then wait for SASEs to pour in, each with a few bucks to cover your time. ;) If you can get 20 faces on 1 page, that's $40-100 per sheet, with virtually no risk to you, and no fighting print scaling for us. ;D

I could do that easy enough. Anyone who gets the Sunpro, shoot me a PM and we can do this. Not sure how the face would work with the other models.

Thunder26

I'll buy it and and a face from you next time i get some money! Can't wait for this to happen

hammer

Bronco Guru
Subscribing to get my grubby mitts on one of Mar's gauge faces:-*

fallingdown

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Ok, so with Mars's permission here is what we came up with. This mod has been added to our list of options if you are interested. The pictures are a bit grainy but the new volt gauge is almost indistinguishable from the stock Amp gauge.

volt2.jpg

volt5.jpg

volt3.jpg

volt4.jpg

volt1.jpg

ChrisC74

So MC - are we able to still get the piece from you direct if we have our own Sunpro and want to install ourselves or should we be following up w/ Fallingdown now???

Bronconaut

Contributor
I'm pretty sure I used the Sunpro when I did mine. This is the graphic I made to match font, etc. I printed on white water transfer decal paper.

Can't find pic of it installed. I'll have to take one when I get a chance.

Attachments

• final.JPG
    final.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 63
  • gauge vm2.JPG
    gauge vm2.JPG
    6 KB · Views: 81

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The shell of the cluster or the dash face is the ground, just like for everything else. You can use the switched power coming into the ICVR (Bk/Gn) for voltmeter power, or splice a new one off the ig.sw. as shown here:

Steve,
You show a fuse (max 175 amp) between the alternator output and the battery. Where do I get one of those and should it be less than 175 amp?
Also, when I disconnect the old loop wire for the old ammeter, is there anything else connected to it that will be affected?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
So MC - are we able to still get the piece from you direct if we have our own Sunpro and want to install ourselves or should we be following up w/ Fallingdown now???

Sure, I have a few printed out and handy. Send me a PM with an address and I will drop it in an envelope.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Steve,
You show a fuse (max 175 amp) between the alternator output and the battery. Where do I get one of those and should it be less than 175 amp?
Also, when I disconnect the old loop wire for the old ammeter, is there anything else connected to it that will be affected?

Most installs use the 175 amp Mega fuse, if you use a #6 wire or bigger, 175 amp will be fine. The old loop for the ammeter doesn't connect to anything else, it just runs from the Alt., to the dash, and back to the starter solenoid, with no connections along the way. You can get the Mega fuses at Napa, but most likely they'll have to order the holder. Here's a cheap source online.
Mark

http://www.delcity.net/store/High-Amp-Fuses/p_800374.a_1

http://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA%C2%AE-Fuse-Holder/p_795652.a_1

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Where do I get one of those...
In the caption. ;)
... and should it be less than 175 amp?
If you put too big a fuse (on ANY circuit), a fault in that circuit could potentially start a fire, so try to keep the fuse in the circuit's normal operating range. A 130A alternator should never put out more than 175A, so if more current than that is flowing, you need to shut it down - that's the purpose of the fuse.
You're not actually disconnecting it - you're only moving the alternator output to the other side of the loop (the battery side). The whole truck runs off that circuit, so it has to stay connected, but you can eliminate that long double-run of wire to reduce resistance & simplify the wiring. Then you can use those abandoned wires for future hi-current projects (amplifier, power inverter, laser weapons...).

FYI
I made the mistake of ordering some stuff from DelCity, and they haven't stopped spamming me, even though I edited my information online, told them on the phone to stop, and returned all their snail-mail with REFUSED written across it.