• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Volt meter?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Is there a fuse on the factory ammeter wire? I'm not putting in a bigger alternator now but have had the ammeter swapped to a voltmeter. I'm reinstallling it today.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
No, but there is a fusible link near the starter solenoid. You don't want to connect the voltmeter to that wire or it would always be on. Connect it to the stud on the back of the ignition sw.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I had planned to just shorten the ammeter loop and run it straight from the alternator to the solenoid. What does the fuse look like so I don't clip it off?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The loop has several splices coming off it to power the ignition sw, headlight sw and fusebox. You don't want to too much modification. The best thing to do is to move the old alt end of it to the fusible link. The fusible link should be connected to the starter solenoid and connected to the other end of the loop. That way you'll have 12V at both ends of the loop which is fine.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I finally got the SunPro 8215 voltmeter, attached the face MarsChariot sent, and uploaded some pics of the rebuild. Click this thumbnail, then look at the NEXT dozen:

I haven't installed it yet - that's Frank's Xmas present...

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
nice job steve...anyone making the new volt face as a PDF so we can print it right off and try this job ourself?thanks again

maybe i missed it

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
I think there are a few printable images earlier in this thread; I don't think anyone made a PDF yet. Maybe MC will do another run if there's enough interest. Or I could scan the original face @600dpi, edit it as a B&W bitmap to look like MC's, and upload it as a GIF.

70Sport

Loc.
Santa Cruz, CA
So, when you guys are wiring this in, are you tapping into the black/green wire coming into the gauge cluster? I just installed the sun pro now just need to wire it up.

Thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
I finally got Frank's truck (for some other work) and installed the voltmeter in the cluster:

With the gauge already prepped, it only took ~1hr to pull the cluster, make a new backplate, & install the gauge. Thanks again to MarsChariot! ;D

Last edited:

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I finally got Frank's truck (for some other work) and installed the voltmeter in the cluster:

With the gauge already prepped, it only took ~1hr to pull the cluster, make a new backplate, & install the gauge. Thanks again to MarsChariot! ;D

That looks great,Steve. You need to add that to the Tech section.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Huge thanks to Mars for the templates.

Upon perusing the shelves at the local parts store, I found this gauge. It is a Sunpro CP7985 and has a smaller needle than the other one listed here. It looks way more factory. For giggles, I tried it directly in the place of the ammeter. If you don't care about the little blue curve on at the base of the grid, it will pretty much fit right in place without any modification!! Of course, you need to pry it out of the original case that it comes with and make a backing plate for it (to mount it to the EB cluster), but it was an easy swap. Hope this helps someone else out.

Attachments

• images[11].jpg
    images[11].jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 31