• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Voltage meter surging.

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
My aftermarket voltage meter is moving back and forth between 12-14v very fast. Is it my alternator? I never had the problem until I undid some of my dash to install defrost ducts? Loose connection somewhere? Voltage regulator? Can someone please help? Where do i start? suggestions?

OP
OP
C

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
The ground to the voltage guage itself? Another problem I noticed, is that my lights get brighter when I step on the gas. Is that my alternator?

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
If these both started happening at the same time, I would now look at the alternator first. Sounds like it has had it. Either that or you have a really low idle. But if the guage is bouncing even when you are driving, then most likely you have burned a phase out of the stator.
Get the alternator off and have it tested.

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I had/have the same problem. I also had alternator bearings going so I replaced the alternator and the "AMP" meter keeps swinging, the lights are also flucuating too. I'm guessing there might be a ground missing between the body, the engine and the battery. I know the alternator/engine block to battery has a good ground but not sure about the body or maybe even the dash ground.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Here is the proper way to check for bad wiring:
http://www.svapowerproducts.com/html/voltage_drop.html

If all your wiring is good on the ground side. Check the wiring to and from the regulator as well. My next thought would be a faulty regulator. It can be removed and tested at your local rebuilder. Just remember to unplug it while the regulator is still attached to the firewall/fender. And when reinstalling it, absolutely make sure you mount it firmly in place before plugging it in. Or you will damage it, more likely blow it up.