• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

waterproof cover to fit a topless EB

montana68

Loc.
Missoula
I'd like to get a car cover to fit our EB when there is no top on it, (i.e., when it's a convertible) so that if it starts to rain or whatever, I can throw it on the bronco to protect it. Anyone know of an option that would work? I'm guessing that it's going to end up having to be custom made (maybe out of a sunbrella or vinyl type fabric) here locally... Or can anyone recommend a good alternative generic-type cover that wouldn't sag and allow water/elemnts into the interior?

Thanks.

barronj

Bronco Guru
I have a force field hooked up to the alarm, it will create a draw on the battery if it's an especially heavy rain though...

j/k- subscribing for input

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Wasn't there a member on here who made a more cost effective trail cover? IIRC the only draw back was it may not fit around mirrors or on some family cages?

Anyone remember?
Dennis

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Bronco Cover

Wasn't there a member on here who made a more cost effective trail cover? IIRC the only draw back was it may not fit around mirrors or on some family cages?

Anyone remember?
Dennis

Then there's this one that fits over a family cage or a full top/soft top.

Last edited:

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
if you're referring to saddleup, forget it. there's a bounty on his head.

Nope, I have been around long enough to remember that drama!!

Then there's this one that fits over a family cage or a full top/soft top.

Yea, this is the one I was thinking about. It does not work with door mounted mirrors, or at least definitely not my big FJ door mounted mirrors. I would have already bought one if it had.
Dennis

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Nope, I have been around long enough to remember that drama!!

Yea, this is the one I was thinking about. It does not work with door mounted mirrors, or at least definitely not my big FJ door mounted mirrors. I would have already bought one if it had.
Dennis

Probably won't work with them ginormous FJ mirrors but regular door mirrors are ok.

OP
OP
M

montana68

Loc.
Missoula
thanks for the responses. The trail cover may be a good place to start, but the problem I see with it (for what I want) is that in topless mode, my bronco has no roll cage or frame to support the cover. The only thing that sticks up from the body os the windshield - which I guess i could fold down and rig a regular car cover to fit tightly... But really it'd be sweet to have a custom cover that fit tightly... anyone make them or know who can?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

Long story short. I have a car cover on my other car, called the manufacture, they make a cover for early Broncos, great.

BUT IF you send your cover to them after you purchase the cover they will add the mirror covers at no cost. (Maybe spare tire, I didn't ask)

You've got to measure where you want them to go and what kind of mirror. Try calling them, ask for Kim. She's great and can tell you the exact details and direct you to a dealer of their covers nearest to you.

ALSO, they do custom covers and even sent me a sheet on how to measure to have a custom cover made for my Bronco!!!

Covercraft (405)238-9651, ask for Kim, she was very helpful.

Chris

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
What did it cost you? How long ago?

Did you buy a full car cover, or a trail cover? Did they already have the dimensions for the EB?

They have all sorts of covers custom for EBs... I got a full cover about 8 years ago for like $280.00 or something like that. It was not their top of the line but close. They have the sunbrella and even something that is supposed to be better for a little over 500.

The reason I used them is because I called the a couple of manufactures of these covers and asked who was their largest retailer and which one would they recommend... I was told Big sky was the people to buy from... their prices were good and shipping was fast. Mine is a covercraft brand... they are the ones who told me to use Big sky. They have all the bronco measurements... both with and without a spare tire and or mirrors.

BTW... it fits great... very soft on the inside so it doesnt scratch.

Greg

OP
OP
M

montana68

Loc.
Missoula
I called Covercraft and they don't make a "waterproof" cover - all their cover material is breathable... So they won't work for what I need. Anyone have exterior dimensions of a 1968 bronco all worked out (with or especially without the top on) so I can use them to get a cover made here? Thanks :)

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Interesting... Mine has been pretty water tight for years and it is a covercraft.

I know Bigsky sells sunbrella covers... surely they are water proof??? Arent they used for boat awnings?

Greg