• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding roll cage with flux core or MIG?

DC_Gearhead

So I just bought the new plate style front cage from Tom's and since I didn't weld my original cage, I am wondering what wire to use. I have a Hobart 135. My welding has gotten good over the course of this build, but I haven't welded pipe like this. Do you guys use flux core or go with solid and gas? I'm wondering what size wire too, so I can get prepared. I have .030 flux and .030 solid on hand. I'll be in a fully protected garage so no wind.

I'd also take any tips you have for welding the pipe.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
MIG

I don't know about your flux core welder but mine (older unit) states "multiple passes" on the thicker stuff. That's not good if you ask me. I'm sure the experts can do multiple passes and it be great but for a non expert and a critical weld, I'm going MIG

Flux splatters too. Makes a mess. Less so on the higher settings but still splatter....

Tim

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Aren't both wires MIG? The flux core wire should net you higher penetration, however with .120" wall thickness tube as would be typical with a roll cage (assuming it's not pipe like you said), the .030" hard wire should be fine with CO2 or CO2/Ar cover gas. As with just about anything welding related, joint prep is important and makes welding the joint a lot easier IMO, but it takes some practice to get comfortable with it. Since you can't weld continuously around a tube without repositioning either yourself or the piece, your start/stops need to be clean and conducive to the next bead.

laserfish

Gas shielded gives a much cleaner weld. My flux core spatters something terrible.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
We used a Hobart 140 with gas and it turned out great.;D

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 139

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Flux core wire is fine in a skilled hand. The issue with flux core is it is an entry level process and when done incorrectly, it looks like farmer welds (no offence, a farmer who's hard faced a plow should be laughing at this).

Using solid core wire, with a shielding gas will get the novice a better weld.
Either way, learning to weld on a roll cage is not a good idea, buy beer and pizza and invite a friend to weld it.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The acronym MIG means metal inert gas.
That's different than flux core.
But for strength, it shouldn't make a difference. Even stick welding is still used for strength rated welds.
And multiple passes isn't a problem either. Multiple welds with a cover pass is standard practice with big stuff.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The acronym MIG means metal inert gas.
That's different than flux core.

True...but if you want to add a third process into the mix for maximum penetration, then you can dual-shield it with a flux-core wire plus cover gas. At the end of the day, hard wire is what I would use for 99.9% of what I weld on a rig, and the other .1% would be TIG. MIG with hard wire is faster, easier, cleaner and it's what's usually ready to rock'n roll in my wire feeder.

The practice, practice, practice...preferably not on a roll cage or some other structurally critical item.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Flux core wire is fine in a skilled hand. The issue with flux core is it is an entry level process and when done incorrectly, it looks like farmer welds (no offence, a farmer who's hard faced a plow should be laughing at this).

Using solid core wire, with a shielding gas will get the novice a better weld.
Either way, learning to weld on a roll cage is not a good idea, buy beer and pizza and invite a friend to weld it.

In Washington DC there aren't many choices for Bronco buddies..hahah or even people that want to get dirty. hahaha I can weld pretty good, it's just the "round" part that I'm new at.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

True...but if you want to add a third process into the mix for maximum penetration, then you can dual-shield it with a flux-core wire plus cover gas. At the end of the day, hard wire is what I would use for 99.9% of what I weld on a rig, and the other .1% would be TIG. MIG with hard wire is faster, easier, cleaner and it's what's usually ready to rock'n roll in my wire feeder.

The practice, practice, practice...preferably not on a roll cage or some other structurally critical item.

I"m going to practice for sure on a few cut up pieces of tubing. I've welded new shock mounts and body mounts, but that was straight welding.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Sounds like basically everyone is in agreement on the solid wire with Argon/CO2. What about wire size? Any advice?

Skinnyr1

I bought the plate cage too and intend to weld it up myself. .030 with 100% CO2. I have a Hobart 140. Its the same thing I use for all the sheet metal work on my Bronco.

With the tube being so thick, turn up the welder according to the chart and make sure it burns in. You need the heat to melt it all in and work the puddle. You won't be blowing any holes in it, that's for sure.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
.030..........its all about heat stoke and penetration!! 75/25 mix

martinphoto

Even with solid wire and gas you will get a little splatter. Pick up a can of anti-splatter at your local weld supply. Bb's won't stick much at all with it. A weld/fire blanket is a friend also if you are welding near anything you don't want to get sparks on if you don't have one already.

OP
OP
DC_Gearhead

DC_Gearhead

Even with solid wire and gas you will get a little splatter. Pick up a can of anti-splatter at your local weld supply. Bb's won't stick much at all with it. A weld/fire blanket is a friend also if you are welding near anything you don't want to get sparks on if you don't have one already.

Good advice on the fire blanket. I don’t have that issue with my sheetmetel welding, but this will be a little hotter and bigger wire. I haven’t used that anti-splatter stuff. I was planning to just wire wheel the bbs off. I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Seeing you're doing it in a garage make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Also a couple good fire extinguishers.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
/\/\ x2
A good idea to also have a helper to watch for things like you setting your pants legs on fire, and be more hands to use those fire extinguishers.