• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Welding up holes ?

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
It looks like the PO's have installed several front seats over the years and my new seat brackets don't line up with any of them.
I have 10 holes ( 3/8" to 1/2" ) that need to be welded up and ground down befort brushing in my liner and installing the new seat brackets.
What is the best way to close these up using my welder.
Do I cut out small pieces of .048" sheet and try to tack it them weld or can a bolt of the hole size be inserted flush with the top of the hole weld and gring off from the under side.
I tried to just weld in one of the holes but could not get it to take. The material in this area is in good shape.
Thanks for your information.
David

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Use a piece of brass or copper on the bottom side of the hole and weld them up. The brass or copper works as a backing surface for your weld to puddle on and fill the hole without sticking to. Then just grind down flat.

Here are some pics I just finished welding up 40+ holes in my floor from 2 previous roll cages

I used 1/8 strips of copper plate and a brass plumbing plug. A second person is needed to help with this to hole the metal in place below while you weld. The copper is nice cause you can bend it to fit a curve if needed. With the plumbing plug you can slip it over the end of a screwdrive and hold it up in place. Who ever is below should be wearing some welding or thick leather gloves as well cause the weld heat quickly transfers through the copper or brass that your using for backing.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Floor1.jpg
    Floor1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Floor2.jpg
    Floor2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Holes1.jpg
    Holes1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Holes2.jpg
    Holes2.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

72Sport

Bronco Guru
What TJK74 said. I don't have a welder but my local body shop proped a piece of 1 1/2" dia x 1" long copper on the underside of mostly 1/4" and 5/16" holes and welded away.

You added pictures. Beautifu work. Looks like a much better job than my body shop. Newark here I come. Too bad you are so far away.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Make sure to remove that under seat gas tank first. Especially if it is one of the plastic ones. Hot spatter goes right through plastic.

Depending on your skill level, I have...
Just welded ins some small washers then welded the hole in the center shut
Just welded the hole shut (one had a compitation to see who coud weld a 1" tube shut and not have it leak, just weld). I got good at filling really stupid gaps when fixing other peoples projects. Gaps you can stick your finger through in horse coralls can be filled in a single pass if you bet me a beer.
Someday I will try that copper trick...

OP
OP
T

Tuff68

Loc.
Hermitage, TN
Thanks

Thank guy's,
I can get a piece of copper at work and give it a try this afternoon. I can hold it up to the bottom using the floor jack.
Sounds much better than grinding off bolts from the bottom.

David

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Tuff68 said:
Thank guy's,
I can get a piece of copper at work and give it a try this afternoon. I can hold it up to the bottom using the floor jack.
Sounds much better than grinding off bolts from the bottom.

David

Yep a floor jack will work but just put it up there lightly, enough to hold it in place. You don't want alot of pressure or stress on the panel when your welding to keep it from warping. The key to this is move fast, spread the heat evenly and push the puddle to fill in the gaps.

Solar Aviator

Another Methode

I like to use fender washers to back up the welds. I hold them up from the bottom with a nail or screw and weld them in place. I think it gives the welds a little more strength if you can live with the washer on the bottom. The 1/8 hole is easy to fill in.

Attachments

• hole weld 002 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 002 (Medium).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 56
  • hole weld 003 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 003 (Medium).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 51
  • hole weld 005 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 005 (Medium).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 36
  • hole weld 004 (Medium).jpg
    hole weld 004 (Medium).jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 69

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
TJK74 said:
Use a piece of brass or copper on the bottom side of the hole and weld them up. The brass or copper works as a backing surface for your weld to puddle on and fill the hole without sticking to. Then just grind down flat.

Here are some pics I just finished welding up 40+ holes in my floor from 2 previous roll cages

I used 1/8 strips of copper plate and a brass plumbing plug. A second person is needed to help with this to hole the metal in place below while you weld. The copper is nice cause you can bend it to fit a curve if needed. With the plumbing plug you can slip it over the end of a screwdrive and hold it up in place. Who ever is below should be wearing some welding or thick leather gloves as well cause the weld heat quickly transfers through the copper or brass that your using for backing.

Good luck!

I have been looking for a piece of copper to try this trick with, but have not found a source so far. I never considered that brass might work, I could get that at the local hardware store. Can anybody recommend a source of copper so I can try this method?

ponch0v

I use a piece of 3/4" copper water pipe smashed flat in the vise. Flatten about 4"-5" and leave a short handle on it. Bend the flat end to what ever angle you need. Works good!

source: Home Depot

pahoughton

Loc.
Colorado Springs, CO
OK now I feel REAL stupid. What a simple idea and I have a chunk of 3/4 copper pipe in the garage already!! I do tend to over complicate things at times. %) ;D %)

THANKS!!!

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Brass works just as well as copper in my experience. I've got a chunk of brass flat bar that works great in those situations where it's needed but I've found that being more careful with my cut lengths tends to be simpler in the long run %)

buknbrco

Loc.
Fairfield
I used a bunch of quarters nickels and dimes. Depending on the size of the hole. Now my bronco will always be worth $3.85 no matter how bad I mess it up.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Apogee said:
Brass works just as well as copper in my experience. I've got a chunk of brass flat bar that works great in those situations where it's needed but I've found that being more careful with my cut lengths tends to be simpler in the long run %)

This is what I used held up against the hole on the end of a big screwdriver.
They come in all sizes
Cheap and easy to find at any hardware store. Buy a couple if you have lots of hole cause they do wear and get pitted.

Attachments

• nbf.jpg
    nbf.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 163

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
If you use the floor jack or some thing like it to support from the bottom you can give the weld a couple of good wacks with a hammer while it is still a little red this eliminates some of the shrinkage and warpage.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
pahoughton said:
I have been looking for a piece of copper to try this trick with, but have not found a source so far. I never considered that brass might work, I could get that at the local hardware store. Can anybody recommend a source of copper so I can try this method?

Don't use a penny!%)

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I don't see a problem with it as long as your not holding it up in position with your hand;D

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Ah Ha! Well that makes sense. I'll have to grind one down and check it out.
Man, They just dont make em like they used to%)