• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

WH Inner Fender Ventilators Help with Cooling?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 7243_4992_popup.jpg
    7243_4992_popup.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 173

AZ69EB

Did you do the Ford Explorer serpentine front dress?

That’s what fixed my issues with the Arizona heat. I could let it idle or crawl all day long after the Explorer front dress was installed.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Did you do the Ford Explorer serpentine front dress?

That’s what fixed my issues with the Arizona heat. I could let it idle or crawl all day long after the Explorer front dress was installed.

Just to clarify, that is with the Explorer clutch fan?

Jim

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just to clarify, that is with the Explorer clutch fan?

Jim

I have not done the explorer surp swap...yet. Its definitely on my list and plan to work with Sandmann on here for the order but I understand COVID has put a pause on production, but willing to wait.

AZ69EB

Yes, sir. Without a question the fan clutch helps with cooling at low speed, helps quite it down at highway speeds, and even frees up some hp’s at highway speeds.

The Explorer serpentine was one of my the best mods. I hope the Atlas T-case that I ordered will become my number one mod. Hopefully, it will show up soon from Wildhorses.;)
Just a little plug...

Extra ventilation wouldn’t hurt either. My old J33p Cherokee needed lots of ventilation to cool that box down. It’s dam hot in AZ.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes to the first question. They definitely help. But the caveat (as always) is that they really help when air flow is your actual problem keeping you hot.

I suppose one way to find out is to get into the conditions that cause it to run hot, then remove your hood to see if it cools down.
That's a tried and true trail mod from 40 years ago, since this has been an issue ever since there were Broncos.
Some of us never had that issue, some of us could not get away from it. It's one of the reasons that the vented panels exist. Along with the air dam panels and tool trays that fit between the grille and core support. And even hood louvers.

Many claim that adding a fan shroud where there is not one will cure all heating issues. Which it almost never does. Unless the lack of a shroud was your actual problem to begin with.
All of the mods make cooling more efficient. They are just not all of them cures all by themselves.
It just depends on what where and why your Bronco is running hot.

Good luck.

Paul

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Paul’s got some excellent suggestions. My problem is my original block has been rebuilt too many times, (cylinder walls I was told are thin) and my 302 always sheds rust scale. This has helped me and I clean it twice a year, November’ before winter when I need a warm heater and in June when it starts to heat up in Los Angels.
Good luck!
:cool:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192915

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Paul’s got some excellent suggestions. My problem is my original block has been rebuilt too many times, (cylinder walls I was told are thin) and my 302 always sheds rust scale. This has helped me and I clean it twice a year, November’ before winter when I need a warm heater and in June when it starts to heat up in Los Angels.
Good luck!
:cool:

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192915

Good info w/your write up..

PaveBronco

It does help keep the under hood temps down a lot, and my feet don't fry as much while driving...engine temp's more a function of the cooling system.
I also wrapped my headers, seems to help also, I only did it to try to keep some heat so my O2 sensors would work better, as they are at the other end by the collectors..

Attachments

• Fender Vents.jpg
    Fender Vents.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It does help keep the under hood temps down a lot, and my feet don't fry as much while driving...engine temp's more a function of the cooling system.
I also wrapped my headers, seems to help also, I only did it to try to keep some heat so my O2 sensors would work better, as they are at the other end by the collectors..

Good point on the engine temps vs under hood temps. I should have added in my initial post. My engine temps are not too bad as I have an electric booster fan on the front of the radiator that can keep engine temps below 220 on a hot day/slow wheeling, but I would like to do better. A couple of times the engine bay and carb got so hot I lost fuel pressure due to the gas getting too hot in the bowl. (vapor lock or ?) I have a hood scoop with 15" dia hole cut in the hood which helps, but thinking these fender vents will also help * with engine bay temps as well. I may also consider wrapping the headers, but they look so nice in the aluminum ceramic coating..... ;D

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I put hood vents to help with under hood temps and it seems to help, it drop the temps around 10 degrees . But I'm not running it in Arizona or California heat;D I was looking at the inner fender vents, but was not sure if it would let the elements get into the engine.

Attachments

• DSCN2267.jpg
    DSCN2267.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2272.jpg
    DSCN2272.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN2277.jpg
    DSCN2277.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN2279.jpg
    DSCN2279.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 70

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's been a concern ever since the first inner panel was cut out and tossed. And I'm sure there are instances (especially in mud maybe?) where some stuff blows in and makes a mess, but for the most part, based on what most users that report about it have to say, not a whole lot gets into the engine compartment due to the panels.
Kind of surprising really, at least at lower speeds.

But it's been awhile since the last discussion, so maybe there are more available data points to cull from. Anybody got any good, bad or ugly stories about their use?

Paul

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
That's been a concern ever since the first inner panel was cut out and tossed. And I'm sure there are instances (especially in mud maybe?) where some stuff blows in and makes a mess, but for the most part, based on what most users that report about it have to say, not a whole lot gets into the engine compartment due to the panels.
Kind of surprising really, at least at lower speeds.

But it's been awhile since the last discussion, so maybe there are more available data points to cull from. Anybody got any good, bad or ugly stories about their use?

Paul

I have considered buying the panels for awhile now. Frankly I cut mine out years ago to both remove hot air and get better access to headers and other parts. I have never really had any issue with excess mud or water getting in the engine bay even since removing that portion of the inner fender.

With that being said, what would be a good way to quickly remove the panels if I was so inclined? Anybody make a quick remove fastener for the application that doesn't look bad?

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Went ahead with the inner fender ventilators. Turned out pretty sweet and will be nice to have the added access for plug replacement and tightening down those tricky header bolts! I decided to paint them flat black to match the rest of the underside. I think these will help out a lot but will have to wait for some hot weather to know for sure. Thanks for all the advice as always.

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpg
    IMG_3324.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3323.jpg
    IMG_3323.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3322.jpg
    IMG_3322.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 109

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Those look great on there. Thanks for the update.
Now to just wait for summer again!

Paul

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I have considered buying the panels for awhile now. Frankly I cut mine out years ago to both remove hot air and get better access to headers and other parts. I have never really had any issue with excess mud or water getting in the engine bay even since removing that portion of the inner fender.

With that being said, what would be a good way to quickly remove the panels if I was so inclined? Anybody make a quick remove fastener for the application that doesn't look bad?

Ben-

Try riv-nuts. They might work well in that application.

Hope all is well with you and yours!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Another thought off airflow, water wetter fluid. I had what I thought was a warmer than should be 2013 jeep with 3.6. Using OBD data I determined it was fine but after adding water wetter to fluid it ran 5-10 degrees cooler up serious inclines at 100 plus temps.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I put hood vents to help with under hood temps and it seems to help, it drop the temps around 10 degrees . But I'm not running it in Arizona or California heat;D I was looking at the inner fender vents, but was not sure if it would let the elements get into the engine.

Every little bit helps but one mod doesn't always do the trick