• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you think of my new headlights.

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Nice. Somehting like that is on my list somewhere.....but the main thing right now is to get it running and 4 wheeling before it gets too cold.

Alex

Loc.
Indiana
Let us know how long they last! I went thru way to many on my HOG. Vibration killed em I guess.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
LITS - Which H4 lights are those? I just picked up a set of the Hella H4 lights, and I am going to do the conversion this weekend(as well as a wiring upgrade). Fill us in on anything weird to watch out for. BTW - they look great!

OP
OP
LostInTheSouth

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
Yes they are a direct bolt in. I bought them off of Ebay only cost me $42 with shipiing and insurance. They are made by OTTO for 69-80 mgb. BUt they work and fit perfect. I am going to do the relays this weekend I couldn't wait to get the lights in to see what they look like. I am going to take a picture tonight of the light that is cast before the relays and the this weekend after the relays and if Jon thinks this is worth writing up I will do so I Didn't take pictures but I am going to need to take them out to wirre every thing this weekend so I can do it them.Headlights On Ebay

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Yes, do relays before you torch the headlight switch. Once the relays are in, you can get bulbs with 100+ watt high beam filaments and really bore holes in the dark. I love mine ;D

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I got the conversion from Baja Broncos. Came with relays and Cibie reflectors with Hella H4 bulbs. Haven't done the realy addition yet (college student w/o bronco here) But put the lens and bulbs in and they are far better than the original stuff, even without the extra power...;D

OP
OP
LostInTheSouth

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
I did the relays this last weekend and damn the lights are brighter then before and now I don't have to worry about burning up the switch .I going to try to post some pics om my site today or tommorow of how bright they are . Here is the pictures of the headlights on low beam at night.Low beam I forgot to take a before picture at night so just look at your own and you can tell the diff.

Last edited:

SeanNollan

Cool because my set showed up today.

Yup thanks for the ebay link. I just went a head and picked up a set. When you do the pics shot some of the relays. Also where did you get your relays?

Thanks for the auction link,
Sean

OP
OP
LostInTheSouth

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
I will take some pictures of the relays install in the morning I had some boch relays laying around from when I used to do car stereos but any auto parts store should have them. I just followed the article in the bronco driver mag it was pretty good. I monted the relays as close to the batterys as possible and kept the lenthes of my headlight wires as short as I could that way more power gets to the lights. I love them and they are now as bright as i could want as for the bulbs that come with the ones from ebay some people dont' like them but I do and so I am going to run them until they burn up . Good luck with yours.

SeanNollan

Also saw a simple kit....

in the local autozone. It had 10ga wire and a relays they wanted $20.00 for it. My question is what type of connection is used at the headlights? If I use the stock style socket, isn't it going to melt? Should I use heavy duty spade connectors?

Thanks
Sean

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Re: Also saw a simple kit....

SeanNollan said:
in the local autozone. It had 10ga wire and a relays they wanted $20.00 for it. My question is what type of connection is used at the headlights? If I use the stock style socket, isn't it going to melt? Should I use heavy duty spade connectors?

Thanks
Sean

Sean,

I bought replacement sockets ($3-4 ea) and used them. At 55 watts your lamps are pulling about 4.56 amps (assuming 12V for calculation purposes, in reality you could be running anywhere from 11-14.4V), so the replacement sockets should be more than ample. Spade terminals are usually rated for 15-20amps, as are the stock sockets, replacing them is a pretty good idea anyhow (after 30 years the stockers should be pretty tired)

Heat is the number one enemy of any wiring, protect your wires by any means possible, and use terminals that far exceed your anticipated load, if not for the quality, but for peace of mind concerning any ambient heat that may be introduced.

SeanNollan

Well I be relay-ed.

Well I just went ahead and did the full conversion. It now has fresh connectors and 30amp relays and the rest. Straight out of the BroncoDriver mag.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I'm gonna do mine soon. I used your ebay link as well to get a set. I'll have to go to radio shack to get the relays to finish it up though. Thanks for the info.