• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you think of my new headlights.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
what did you do with the little bulb?

Lostinthesouth I wanted to know what you did with the small 5 or 10 watt bulb in the bottom of the headlight. I know this isn't on EB's so I was wondering if you knew what it was for and what you did with it yourself? I love my new headlights and thanks again for the link.Jason

OP
OP
LostInTheSouth

LostInTheSouth

Loc.
Ramstein
I didn't have any little light bulbs sorry can't help you. Hey did you do the relays it helped alot. I can see now.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
The relay's are going in this weekend. I'm gonna do them and I need one for my horn. Did you ever post any pics. of your's after it was all done? And if you click on your link to the H4's on ebay you can see in the larger picture a small blue bulb below the headlight bulb (this is what I was refering to).I think I'm gonna tie them into the light relay as well.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
fuseman said:
I'm gonna do mine soon. I used your ebay link as well to get a set. I'll have to go to radio shack to get the relays to finish it up though. Thanks for the info.

what little bulb? if it's a newer vehicle it may be for daytime running lights. I just did the relays on mine and i am waiting for the H4' that are in the mail. lights work great now, better soon!;D

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Daytime running lamps ;) I like that idea. Maybe I'll go there instead. I should be able to do that with another relay? I'll have to work on that.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Fuseman, Is that little bulb a blue? You could get a clear one and use it as daytime running lights or get an orange one and tie it into your turn signals.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
i am wondering if you got the wrong H4 lights. i don't recall seeing one with another smaller bulb in the headlight itself. what one did you get off ebay?

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
It does depend on the particular auction at that time. I have seen them with and without the little light in it. If you look at the original ebay link the photo at the bottom does show the blue light just below the main light.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Just got back from a long weekend driving on lonely dirt roads in central Nevada. I have Hella H4's up front with 55 watt lo/ 100 watt highs, switched via relays. They bore holes in the dark. Or I thought, until this trip. On a dirt road through the alkali dust on a moonless clear night going 60 mph I was wishing for more. Kind of like horsepower, I guess.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
Re: what did you do with the little bulb?

fuseman said:
Lostinthesouth I wanted to know what you did with the small 5 or 10 watt bulb in the bottom of the headlight. I know this isn't on EB's so I was wondering if you knew what it was for and what you did with it yourself? I love my new headlights and thanks again for the link.Jason

i see, that small bulb is called a city light. must be a lower wattage for driving iunder city lights. i guess that would be the same as a daytime running light.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
kwspony said:
did you get the Otto brand lights? i am not sure of the wattageof the ones I am getting.

I got mine here: http://catalog.com/susq/hella/headlamp.htm

If you click on "pricing" you get to this page: http://catalog.com/susq/hella/hdlmpprc.htm#7

I bought part no. H6024B. Looks like the price hasn't changed since I bought mine 2 years ago. I got my relay kits there as well, though there are plenty of places to buy those. At the bottom of the pricing page there is also yet another link for wiring relays.

Another site with tech info and sales of CIBIE lights: http://lighting.mbz.org/

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
kwspony said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33710&item=2438041206

this is the one i got. it should be a replacement for all H6024 bulbs. i don't have mine yet but should get them soon.

I got the same one's just from a different vendor. They are OTTO H4 for a 66-80 MGB MG. I guess some have the bulb and some don't. I'm gonna figure something out to do with it. Why waist a perfectly good light bulb. (I used to be an electirician and now I'm a lighting programmer/ audio video installer) I like playing with wires.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
The 66-80 MGBs came with the exact same headlights as the 66-77 Bronco. I've owned a few. I'm thinking they mentioned MGB either to attract bidders like the Isuzu 4WD badges that were advertized for Broncos, or they wanted people to think that those very Japanese OTTOs are actually "Euro" style lights.
FWIW, a tinted headlight bulb is not legal in the USA, regardless of wattage or color. Those lenses are not DOT legal either. I do like H4 headlights and will buy a set next time I need to buy a headlight, but for street use I will only use street legal H4s.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
City lights are intended to be part of your running light system. You can just tap the nearest side marker light, they are low wattage lamps, but you can certainly run them off of a relay if you want a bit of trickery, if you run them with the headlamps they will only work with one or the other beam selections (hi/lo) unless you were to put a diode inline to keep one from backfeeding the other which would cause you big, big problems. They have been used by different European auto manufacturers for decades. The ones that come to mind specifically are early VW's (from the 50's) These were in the days of Semaphore signals and stuff like that. They seem to have been reintroduced simply to bring a bit of nostalgic style to your ride.

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
I think I'll try the running lights, I'm gonna set it up so if the ignitiion it on so will the running lights, when I turn on the headlights the running lights will go off but the headlights will stay on.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
fuseman said:
I think I'll try the running lights, I'm gonna set it up so if the ignitiion it on so will the running lights, when I turn on the headlights the running lights will go off but the headlights will stay on.

Now you got me hooked. The only way I can think of to make that work would be to get a relay with N/C conacts so that when the headlights come on the relay is turned off. How you gonna do that? Is there a better way I can't think of? Come on Sparky, enlighten me, I am stumped...