• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What do you think of my new headlights.

U

Unregistered

differant relays

ok i was at napa and was looking at relays. i bought 2 differant relays for my headlights. The ones i bought have dual #87 posts on them. that way I can run 1 wire to each headlight instead of having to run 1 wire to both headlights. wish my H4's would get here!

fuseman

Loc.
SoCal
Gummi Bear said:
Now you got me hooked. The only way I can think of to make that work would be to get a relay with N/C conacts so that when the headlights come on the relay is turned off. How you gonna do that? Is there a better way I can't think of? Come on Sparky, enlighten me, I am stumped...

That's exaclty what I'm gonna do. Get a normal closed relay and hook it up so when the headlights are off,and the ignition is on, the running lights are on. When the headlights are turned on (the switch is pulled out) they will go off and the headlights will go on. But, it looks like this little project may be put on hold. On my way home from work today the tranny took a dump on me. It's now stuck in second gear. But that's a different post.

Let me know how you do on your's gummi bear. and I'll do the same with mine. Are you gonna do a tech write up on yours?

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
ok, i got my H4's yesterday and they also have the little bulb in them. they are rated at 90/100W. I like the way they look and can't wait to put them in this weekend. I will have to wire up the small bulbs some how. maybe to the parking lights.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
fuseman said:
That's exaclty what I'm gonna do. Get a normal closed relay and hook it up so when the headlights are off,and the ignition is on, the running lights are on. When the headlights are turned on (the switch is pulled out) they will go off and the headlights will go on. But, it looks like this little project may be put on hold. On my way home from work today the tranny took a dump on me. It's now stuck in second gear. But that's a different post.

Let me know how you do on your's gummi bear. and I'll do the same with mine. Are you gonna do a tech write up on yours?

I can't believe I missed your post last week. Sorry 'bout that. Nah, no writeup, I already installed a set of the Hella H4 lights a couple of weeks ago, and built a relay box that sits on the fenderwell. It houses the relays for my fuel pump, driving lights, headlights (high & low beam), and off-road lights, with room for a couple more relays. It turned out pretty clean, I am happy with it. I just like figuring out how electrical components are controlled when I get a challenge like yours presented, that is fun stuff.

I still need to finish my steering column writeup, last weekend got kinda wacky (I ended up at a party full of 4x4 nuts, of which I knew none, and it lasted way too late, but it was fun anyway)

Sorry to hear about your trans. Mine was stuck in eternal 2nd gear when I forgot to re-install the correct linkage on it when I swapped carbs (an entire day wasted, thinking I had made a humongous mess) Hope yours ends up being a simple fix.

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
Lost in the South HELP!!!

ok i just got around to installing my headlights. I got the 69-80 MGB lights. The notch on the back of the glass doesn't line up with the headlight bucket. I would habe to turn the light to the 10:00 position to get them to line up. What am i doing wrong??????

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Have you tried rotating them 120^ to see if they fit better that way? They should have 3 little tabs to keep them from rotating in the bucket while you apply the retaining ring.

Could it be that you got a bad or mis-aligned headlight? (manufacturing flaw)

I have the Hella's, so other than the obvious, I can't be much more help. :'(

Let me know if you have anything else, or other ideas...

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
the only way I can get all three notches to line up is by turning the bulb upside down! the glass has the word TOP in it so I assume that turning it upside down will affect the beam on the road. unless I can turn the bucket upside down I will have to grind off the notches.:(

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I believe that if you mount them upside down, you will have a fabulous view of the trees you are passing under, just not the road...

If you take the bucket out and flip it 180^, can you still use your alignment screws? (I can't remember ever looking to see if this can be done) One more thing, my alignment screws were crap, and while all this is apart, it is a good time to swap them out (think $6 for new ones on both sides) Now I can actually adjust my headlights...

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
well, after looking at the grill, there is now way to turn the bucket upside down. The grill is notched out for the adjusters:( so I either got the wrong headlights, I will have to gring off the notches on the bulb, or grind new notches in the headlight bucket.:mad: :mad: :mad: am going to call the dealer to see what's up!!!!

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
well, i talked to the dealer, lots of help there%) he said to try them. at least i think that is what he said, hard to undertand his language;) L I T S, i would think that the glass doesn't matter since it is smooth, the back is all that is important since it has the reflector on it. so i installed them, pulled in the garage and tried them out. seems like they will work but will have to wait till tonight to really test them out. I ended up hooking up the little blue lites to the parking lites. We'll see!

Attachments

• bronco parking lights 2.jpg
    bronco parking lights 2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 57

kwspony

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Roseville
ok this is how it looks in the truck. the small bulb is on top. compared to everyone else's lights does the reflector look like it is right-side-up or upside down?

Attachments

• bronco 3a.jpg
    bronco 3a.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 52

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You got my vote.

I think they look sharp. The real test will be tonight when you check out your beam pattern. I hope it works out for you, let us know how it goes.

Jaded75

Loc.
David City, Nebraska
I had to install mine with the "top" wording upside down at the bottom to make the tabs fit as well. That turned out to be the right way for the lights to work. When I held them in the bucket with the Top at the Top, the lights lit up the trees. Other than the wording being upside down on the glass lenses, they work great.