• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What happened to old school tires?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I miss the old school 4 Wheel RVT's, Tread was like the Ground Hawgs, the rubber was harder and the road wear was great.

Yes, I like the retro look of the old tire designs also. Here is a photo of a '76 with a set of new 4 Wheel RVTs in a 36.5/14.50-15. They still have "whiskers" on the tread, but they also have some dry rot cracks. Bronco had set 12 years motionless in a barn with chickens roosting on the top! It also has both front axles broken so the RVTs must bite OK....however, the 351 and a 3 speed probably didn't help!

Attachments

• 100_2644.jpg
    100_2644.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 64

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
old school here!!!!! I picked up these last week;D, I bought then because I had never seen a aluminum rim like this before, have you?%)

Attachments

• oldtire.jpg
    oldtire.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 69

fordfan

Bronco Guru
old school here!!!!! I picked up these last week;D, I bought then because I had never seen a aluminum rim like this before, have you?%)

I thought I had the only set of those in existance!!!! LOL An Aluminum Wagon Wheel. Here's photos of my '78 with those same wheels that were installed on the Bronco in 1979! The ones I have were branded "Western" , a popular wheel name 30-40yrs ago!

Attachments

• 100_0724.jpg
    100_0724.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_0732.jpg
    100_0732.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 14

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
Wow nice guys, I can't wait to polish them up. Im hoping the one tire holds air. I would like to have them on my half cab when I build in in a couple of years. I looked at the wheel and could not find any name on it. I guess they were not popular cause maybe of the price? I can see that the steel would have been way cheaper at the time.;D

knack

Contributor
How about Armstrong Norseman, or Gates Commando tires? Those were pretty bulletproof.
I'd like to think there's a pile of them sitting in some old boarded up service station. Just a fantasy, I suppose.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The old bi-ply gateways are the way to go in this part of the country, I have tried others but none compare to the Buckshots. I bought this pair about 2 yrs ago and only run them in the winter, P78x15's. I was also told they are suppose to be made again but not sure when. If anybody is interested the co-op here has a set of 4 brand new 9.00x16 grip spurs for sale. He gave me a good price of $147/tire, they usually sale for $220/tire. I would get them but I don't have a set of 16" wheels.
I don't like the new BFG MT's they may be quit on the road but thats not why I buy a mud tire, I have a set of AT's for that. I would say they work good in Moab sandstone but the pattern is too close for the mud, the old BFG MT's worked pretty darn good.
I am pissed at BFG. I ALWAYS bought P255/85X16s MTs for my F250, CJ5, and was planning on running them on my Bronco. The tire is almost 34" tall and only had about a 10-11 inch section when mounted on a 7" wide wheel. They are the perfect combination of height and float for the sandy clay up at teh ranch. BFG no longer makes the nice MT tread pattern in that size anymore. They only make that sizze in that goofy looking rockcrawler tread pattern they now call a MT.
I hate to here this, that was what I was going to go to when my Buckshots were done.

Attachments

• bronco pics 077.jpg
    bronco pics 077.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 35

orangecrush4u

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shelter Island, NY
How about Armstrong Norseman, or Gates Commando tires? Those were pretty bulletproof.
I'd like to think there's a pile of them sitting in some old boarded up service station. Just a fantasy, I suppose.

Oh and you forgot to mention%) there is a couple broncos out back and one inside that was a station truck;D;D;D;D;D

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Going real old school
Atlas Mud and Snow tires, We use to sell a ton of those to the local ranchers.