• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What happened to old school tires?

RebelRider

Loc.
Sturgis, Mississippi
:cry:Ive been noticing a lot lately of the amount people driving around with fancy trucks and them new fangled computer designed mud tires. Im sick and tired of these folks and still dont understand why folks stopped makin the co-op tires around here and you can't even afford the old school buckshots (not maxxis):cry:....These new tires are CRAP in my opinion and the brand new Z71's jacked up 12 foot and will never hit a mud hole in its life.

Its gonna be a cold day before i buy a mickey thompson or pro comp. Ill start ridin plain treads or take out a loan for some boggers before i buy some.

Just my 2 cents

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Id never buy mickeys or pro comps either, but that because im a BFGoodrich fan. Were stuck buying what is made. Id never buy boggers except for a mud truck, and then id still have to cut them! I usuall have a mud terain for summer and a allterain for the other 8 months. A bogger would never get me up the driveway in the winter!

Its supply and demand. Them 12 foot lifted z-71's have the demand.

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Rebel rider - I got 4 old school buckshots I will just about give you. They were not that great off road, so not sure what you miss about them.

OP
OP
R

RebelRider

Loc.
Sturgis, Mississippi
Rebel rider - I got 4 old school buckshots I will just about give you. They were not that great off road, so not sure what you miss about them.

There the best tire ever made for the mississippi clay mud in my opinion and for a lot of other people, not sure about where you go off road, maybe in the rocks somewhere

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Maybe the dont make them any more because most of us stay out of the Mississippi mud. ;D I had good luck with Mickey Thompson baja claw radials and I now have BFG km2's. As long as they stay inflated and keep going down the road or on the trail i'm happy.

Henry

OP
OP
R

RebelRider

Loc.
Sturgis, Mississippi
Maybe the dont make them any more because most of us stay out of the Mississippi mud. ;D I had good luck with Mickey Thompson baja claw radials and I now have BFG km2's. As long as they stay inflated and keep going down the road or on the trail i'm happy.

Henry

Well..I guess your right i guess im just gettin ornery in my old age

(16 yrs. old);D

kayakersteve

Loc.
Western NY State
Rebel - I used them in western NY on y land - mostlt creek bottom with clay, sand shale mix. Never got good traction and even in our mud I was never impressed. These are the ones I have, but have been replaced with KM2s now

Attachments

• IMGP1507.jpg
    IMGP1507.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 198

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Sounds like you should save up and get some super swamper boggers and cut the small lugs off. Thats what the big boys run at the mud runs here in Minnesota, and these mud holes can be the size of a football field and 5 feet deep! At least run them in the rear, this also keeps the front from digging down too much. But if you really want to play in the mud then you got to mount the radiator in the rear of the rig to keep it cooling. Might also consider swapping the windshield for some steel mesh so you can beat off the mud to see. WE KNOW ARE MUD BOGGING:p!!!!!

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Well..I guess your right i guess im just gettin ornery in my old age

(16 yrs. old);D

Leave it up to you young wipper snappers. I remember when I was your age we had to make our tires out of card board or carve them out of log and another thing ..................

Henry

OP
OP
R

RebelRider

Loc.
Sturgis, Mississippi
Sounds like you should save up and get some super swamper boggers and cut the small lugs off. Thats what the big boys run at the mud runs here in Minnesota, and these mud holes can be the size of a football field and 5 feet deep! At least run them in the rear, this also keeps the front from digging down too much. But if you really want to play in the mud then you got to mount the radiator in the rear of the rig to keep it cooling. Might also consider swapping the windshield for some steel mesh so you can beat off the mud to see. WE KNOW ARE MUD BOGGING:p!!!!!

Aw man that sound so awesome....

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I've been to many a mud bog and I can count on one hand how many sets of Ground Hawgs and Buckshots I've seen at said events. They just dont have what it takes. Its boggers or tractor tires nowadays.

You dont get much more old school than tractor tires.

dead road

Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Speaking of old school tires, anyone got any 29 11.50 baja belted kicking around. I'm dyeing for a set, nothing to do with performance everything to do with retro.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I agree.

I am pissed at BFG. I ALWAYS bought P255/85X16s MTs for my F250, CJ5, and was planning on running them on my Bronco. The tire is almost 34" tall and only had about a 10-11 inch section when mounted on a 7" wide wheel. They are the perfect combination of height and float for the sandy clay up at teh ranch. BFG no longer makes the nice MT tread pattern in that size anymore. They only make that sizze in that goofy looking rockcrawler tread pattern they now call a MT.

I always liked the tall skinny mudgrip tires that were directional too. Go forward and not backward unless you jacked it up and swapped sides. I bought a set of 7.50-16s when I was 16 and the owner of this one man tire shop had no idea there was a direction and he didn't want to change them because I was just a stupid kid, that I didn't know what I was talking about. I told him to call his distributor or heck just some blue haired old lady because eveybody knew that. I actually had to go home and get my father to go down and tell the idiot that they were directional tires and he needed to dismount two of them and rebalance them.

There was nearly a fight, my old man could get his hackle up when he had to deal with stupid people and crooks.

trtlsoup22

:cry:Ive been noticing a lot lately of the amount people driving around with fancy trucks and them new fangled computer designed mud tires. Im sick and tired of these folks and still dont understand why folks stopped makin the co-op tires around here and you can't even afford the old school buckshots (not maxxis):cry:...

Ha Co-op grip spurs! I got 9.00x16 on mine. Don't see them anymore. I run a farm supply and used to sell these tires like crazy. They are moving the molds to these tires and it takes a while to get up and running. I am told that the gateway buckshot is being made in a few sizes, but not selling again just yet.. As for the co-op grip spur, I haven't heard a word yet..
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298111649.309956.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298111468.541124.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298111468.541124.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 108
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298111522.976211.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298111522.976211.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 116

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I agree.

I am pissed at BFG. I ALWAYS bought P255/85X16s MTs for my F250, CJ5, and was planning on running them on my Bronco. The tire is almost 34" tall and only had about a 10-11 inch section when mounted on a 7" wide wheel. They are the perfect combination of height and float for the sandy clay up at teh ranch. BFG no longer makes the nice MT tread pattern in that size anymore. They only make that sizze in that goofy looking rockcrawler tread pattern they now call a MT.

I always liked the tall skinny mudgrip tires that were directional too. Go forward and not backward unless you jacked it up and swapped sides. I bought a set of 7.50-16s when I was 16 and the owner of this one man tire shop had no idea there was a direction and he didn't want to change them because I was just a stupid kid, that I didn't know what I was talking about. I told him to call his distributor or heck just some blue haired old lady because eveybody knew that. I actually had to go home and get my father to go down and tell the idiot that they were directional tires and he needed to dismount two of them and rebalance them.

There was nearly a fight, my old man could get his hackle up when he had to deal with stupid people and crooks.

your old man sounds just like mine..........awesome !

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I tried to sell a set of Coop Spur Grips in great condition at OCBR last year and did not even get an offer on them! Nothing digs like those spur grips IMO. I like them too, not good for rocks and what not, but they get some traction in the mud. Mine are smaller 15" tires, like 700 or 750-15 or something like that, but no one was interested in them at OCBR. I guess every one wants fancy white letters and what not on their tires now...;)

bigbarf48

Loc.
Stone Mountain, GA
I feel you. theres a ton of jacked up z71s and tahoes at my school. Its annoying, but at least its funny to watch the people try to climb up into them;D

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
They dont make a good mud tire anymore because most of the guys on here would opt for the bypass around a mud hole rather than get there doorless, topless bronco dirty!

And actually the new BFG mudterains are really quiet on the road compaired to the old style i hear. (Both my dad and brother are running them new ones now and they say there super quiet. Well see if they stay quiet when they get below half tread)

mudmagnet63

Loc.
Geary OK.
Ya mean jacked up like this,and hell yes mine get's muddy. :p

I run Pro comp extremes and have no issue with the traction, . Rubber is a little soft so wear isn't the best. I'll prolly try something other than PC next time

Attachments

• Photo010(2).jpg
    Photo010(2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 81

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Ya mean jacked up like this,and hell yes mine get's muddy.

%) That truck ant gona go through any mud bog! Expecially with them tiny tires and no lift! Youd be lucky to get the back tires in the hole%)! The mud boggers around here run 44 inch swampers at a minumum. Usually 60" tractor tires. The funny part is after you got that truck stuck nobody would pull you out, expecially not the grapple skidder guy;D! That truck would work ausome to pull your mud truck to the mud run though! But thats it!