• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

What is it? Can I get rid of it?

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This was not on my Bronco before I had it restored. I did not add it on myself. I’m guessing it’s some kind of filter, but it’s leaking now when I top off the 23 gallon tank.

I had Holley Sniper EFI installed last year. About the time I noticed the leak I also have fuel issues...running lean.

Can I delete this box or bypass it?

Attachments

• 24254D65-F9FB-4167-8151-D4C90C47162C.jpg
    24254D65-F9FB-4167-8151-D4C90C47162C.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 296

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe ask the restorer what it is and why he installed it?

Attachments

• Mystery Box.jpg
    Mystery Box.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 96

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
If it is connected to the gas tank then it is probably some sort of charcoal canister for emissions. It should be above the gas tank - or at least it was originally. Did you have one before taking it to the restorer?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Evap type canister, I'd run the rubber line well above the fuel tank like say by the filler tube, then back toward the evap cannister, might stop the leak down.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it is connected to the gas tank then it is probably some sort of charcoal canister for emissions. It should be above the gas tank - or at least it was originally. Did you have one before taking it to the restorer?

This wasn’t there before the restore. They didn’t have them until the 70s I thought? If this was added and not OEM do I even need it?

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe ask the restorer what it is and why he installed it?

I can’t ask the restorer...as he has passed away. I added EFI so I need a pressurized fuel line and I really don’t know if this is necessary.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I can’t ask the restorer...as he has passed away. I added EFI so I need a pressurized fuel line and I really don’t know if this is necessary.

The fuel cap usually leaks enough that it vents pressure, but you are supposed to have one for emissions purposes.

71 CA Bronco

I would follow azbronco's recommendation unless you want your garage smelling like gas. Don't ask me how I know this. %)

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Any chance that we can get a better picture of the unit, rather than a bottom shot?

Agree that you should try and retain a CC, but maybe in a better location...

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
looks like a square charcoal cannister with vents and connections on top, probably not placed high enough, hence try placing loop well above tank level. If not, move it up into engine bay above wheel well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Maybe an air compressor? Did you install Rancho 9000 shocks by any chance? What about air bags?
Air Lockers?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What does that cast-looking thingy with the two bolts on the frame just to the left of the other mystery item do?

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Might be an accumulator for the EFI.

Not the best picture of a non-stock item. Lots of guessing what it is. What is connected to it? where do those go? Engine is not an answer, vacuum port or fuel rail is an answer.

Can it be removed, probably. Likely to make a bigger mess with it gone.

OP
OP
greatguy57078

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I’m guessing charcoal canister. I’m just gonna bypass it and see what it does. It’s worthless to me in the current location as it leaks fuel every time I top off the tank.